Lady Pacers win VMG Invite; Spilman earns MVP honors
The Switzerland County girls and boys track teams participated in the Vevay Media Group Invitational last Friday night on their home track.
The Lady Pacers won the championship; while the Pacer boys finished third overall.
In the girls invitational, the Lady Pacers finished with a team total of 73; followed by Southwestern with 56; Rising Sun with 27; and Jac-Cen-Del with 25.
Switzerland County was led by Madison Spilman, who won the 100-meter dash with a time of :13.50; the 200-meter dash in a time of :28.28; the long jump with a school record-tying distance of 15’0”, and she teamed with Taylor Kappes, Kaylynn Schaefer, and Laryssa Smith to win the 400-meter relay in a time of :57.60.
For her efforts, Spilman earned the Most Valuable Participant award.
Other placings by the Lady Pacers included:
• In the 100-meter hurdles: Lyndsay Snider won in a time of :20.03.
• In the 100-meter dash: Schaefer finished third.
• In the 1,600-meter run: Kappes finished third and Paige Earls finished fourth.
• In the 400-meter dash: Smith finished second and Schaefer finished third.
• In the 800-meter run: Kappes was third and Earls was fourth.
• In the 200-meter dash: Trinity Blevins finished third.
• In the 1,600-meter relay: the team of Kappes, Smith, Schaefer, and Blevins finished second.
• In the long jump: Snider finished sixth.
• In the discus: Julianna Williams finished third and Kennedy Riley was fourth.
• In the high jump: Blevins was second and Riley finished fifth.
• In the shot put: Snider finished second and Williams finished fourth.
The boys invitational was won by Rising Sun with 77 points; followed by Jac-Cen-Del with 55; Switzerland County with 41; and Southwestern with 11.
The Pacers earned two blue ribbons in the invitational — Slayder Burkholder won the 1,600-meter run in a time of 5:53; and Christian Smith won the shot put with a distance of 41’4”.
Other Pacers included:
• In the 110-meter hurdles: Liam South was third and Colton Day was fifth.
• In the 100-meter dash: Corbin Haag finished fourth and Smith finished fifth.
• In the 1600-meter run: Gatlin Dean finished fourth.
• In the 400-meter dash: Haag was second and South finished sixth.
• In the 400-meter relay: the Pacer team finished third.
• In the 800-meter run: Burkholder was fourth and Landon McAlister was fifth.
• In the 200-meter dash: Aiden McGarvey was fifth and Braxton Hartley finished sixth.
• In the long jump: Haag earned a third place finish.
• In the discus: Smith finished second.
• In the high jump: Hartley was fourth.
• In the shot put: Jakoby McKay earned fifth place.