Danielle Green convicted of husband’s murder in Ohio County trial


“I’m going to kill you. You need to die.”

These are the words Danielle Green told investigators that her ex-husband said to her in the early morning hours of May 26th, 2014.

That morning Green said she awoke from sleeping on the couch to go to the bathroom. Her ex-husband, Raymond Green, was in bed. She contended that she came out of the bathroom and was met by enraged ex-husband (The two divorced in early January, 2014 in order to receive more social security money from after the death of his first wife.)

Green admitted to the killing in self-defense, although she could not remember firing the gun in a video re-enactment.

Late Tuesday night, an Ohio County jury returned a verdict of guilty in the case, convicting Danielle Green of murder.

After two weeks and hundreds of exhibits, Dearborn-Ohio County Prosecutor Aaron Negangard echoed the defendant’s words before the jury’s deliberation. Those are the words that appeared more likely what Green said to her ex.

At 4:40 p.m. jurors asked to see video and audio exhibits then, shortly before making a decision, visited the courtroom to examine the comforter (encased under glass).

It took the jury of seven women and five men nearly eight hours to bring back a verdict of guilty of murder at 8:44 p.m. Tuesday, September 1st in Ohio County Circuit Court.

Danielle Green (42 at the time of the shooting) originally told friends and 62-year old Raymond Green’s employer that he had been killed by a dog they had rescued.

The evidence showed that victim had been shot and placed in a metal box on the property.

The Greens were living on the family farm of her parents (Clifford and Jane Steinke) on Hartford Pike. The defendant had returned home from Florida in 2012 to take care of her parents who lost their battle with cancer.

In closing arguments, the prosecution attorney Lynn Deddens showed coroner photos of the 10 shots including those to the back along with four in back of the head and one in the temple.

Video was shown of the couple shopping in Aldi and Walmart, purchasing $945 of items including a TV.

Attorney Jeff Dornette showed photos of the carpet having been cut from the bedroom and signs of clean up. He showed holes in a bedsheet and comforter which were found in the box with the body.

Dornette concluded, “This was a cover up. This was a murder.”

Defense attorney Del Weldon reiterated his opening remarks that Raymond Green was a volcano.

The day of the shooting was the 12th anniversary of his first wife’s death and nobody knew what was in Ray Green’s head, as he continued to show reason for self-defense.

Weldon reviewed a $500,000 life insurance policy which the ex-husband had tried to take out on her. Because she had told nobody of the abuse, Weldon said his client felt “trapped.”

Negangard asked jurors in opening day of the trial to follow the evidence.

In closing he contended that “the evidence is clear. There is no evidence of abuse.”

A sentencing hearing must now be set in the next 30 days. Green could get 60 years.