When the Switzerland County Pacer varsity wrestling team participated in the SIWC conference meet on Saturday, January 14th, there were several outstanding efforts that also need to be recognized.
The Pacers had two conference champions: Jacob Wolf, wrestling at 106-pounds and Andrew Garland, wrestling in the 182-pound weight class.
Jacob Wolf and Garland are just the second and third conference champions in the relatively young history of Switzerland County High School wrestling.
Also earning a spot on the podium was Pacer Austin Wolf, who earned third place at 113-pounds.
Other Pacer wrestlers in the conference meet included:
– Tyler Lieland, fourth place at 170-pounds.
– Aiden Day, fifth place at 120-pounds.
– Damien Day, fifth place at 126-pounds.
– Christian Wilson, fifth place at 145-pounds.
– Brenon Smith, fifth place in the Heavyweight division.
– Kyzick Byrum, did not place in the 152-pound division.
– Dustin Wallace, did not place in the 160-pound division.
– Brenden Otter, did not playce in the 220-pound division.
As a team, Switzerland County finished sixth in the conference with 102 points. Crawford County won the conference with a team total of 211 points; followed by Charlestown with 210 points; Scottsburg with 152 points; Southwestern with 128 points; Providence with 108, Switzerland County with 102; New Washington with 65; and West Washington with 56.
This past Saturday Switzerland County participated in a six-team invitational held at Milan High School.
Senior Andrew Garland continued his outstanding season, going 5-0 on the day to claim the overall title in the 182-pound weight class.
The team finished 2-3 on the day moving their school record wins to 12 on the season (12-18 overall).
Jacob Wolf, Austin Wolf, and Brenon Smith all finished the day 4-1 to help the Pacers. Christian Wilson and Dustin Wallace each finished 2-3 on the day.
State tournament action starts this Saturday, January 27th, at the Jennings County Sectional.