By Steve Crabtree,
VSCF Executive Director
The Vevay-Switzerland County Foundation is a private foundation. Its mission is to aid in the continuing improvements of Vevay and Switzerland County for the betterment of its citizens and its citizens to come.
The Vevay-Switzerland County Foundation was formed in 1979 by Paul Ogle. He asked Ralph Tilley to bring a group of folks together from Switzerland County to form a board in order to grant his money to not-for-profit entities in Switzerland County.
VSCF over the last 36 years has granted over $4.5 million to local 501-(c)-3 not-for-profits. Many of these grant dollars were for matching grants to leverage an entity to receive even more dollars.
This also does not include land that was donated to county and local governments for projects to erect buildings and develop parks. i.e. Switzerland County Health Department, Switzerland County Jail, Paul Ogle Park, and YMCA – to name just a few.
Since the Vevay Switzerland County Foundation is a private foundation the Internal Revenue Service requires by law that 5-percent of its assets are granted out each year. This is much different than the laws that govern the Switzerland County Community Foundation as it has a more liberal granting process to entities in the county and not necessarily 501-(c)-3 not-for-profits.
The Vevay-Switzerland County Foundation according to its by-laws is governed by an eight-member board made up of an Executive Director, Vevay Town Councilman, County Commissioner, President of Kiwanis, Switzerland County Historical member and four at-large members who are residents of Switzerland County.
The Board of Directors is committed to continually accept grants and award those qualified entities money for years to come.
For 2014, the Vevay-Switzerland County Foundation Board of Directors has announced that it awarded over $100,000 in grants.
These grants were given to not-for-profits, schools and governmental entities throughout Vevay and Switzerland County. Vevay-Switzerland County Foundation mission is to aid in the continuing improvements of Vevay and Switzerland County for the betterment of its citizens and its citizens to come.
The Board of Directors is committed to continue the awarding of monies to worthy projects in the years to come.
Grants Awarded for 2014 included:
– Switzerland County High School Robotics Team Competition: $1,800.
– Dolly Parton Imagination Station Book Program: $2,500.
– Swiss Wine Festival: $10,000.
– Switzerland County Housing HVAC: $15,000.
– YMCA Summer Camp: $3,930.
– Safe Passage Office Equipment: $1,064.
– After Prom: $3,000.
– Switzerland County Farmers Market Promotional and Marketing: $1,000.
– Switzerland County Library Summer Reading Program: $1,600.
– Big Stuf: $12,000.
– Middle School Job Shadowing; $1,050.
– Middle School Awareness Program; $402.
– Archery Team to National Competition; $3,088.
– Switzerland County 4-H Ag in the Classroom; $1,200.
– Bavarian Beer Bash: $5,000.
– Children’s Advocacy Center Technology Upgrade: $5,000.
- Vevay Police Department Police Car Technology Upgrade: $4,481.
- Vevay Main Street Flower Pot Program: $2,010.
– YMCA Staff Training: $5,000.
- Switzerland County Salvation Army Emergency Assistance Program: $7,500
– Switzerland County Health Department Safety for Patients: $10,000.
– Switzerland County High School Band Uniforms: $4,500.
The Vevay-Switzerland County Foundation has a website and entities are welcome to go on and view the site. The address is: www.vscfinc.org.