Tomorrow, Friday, February 7th at noon is the deadline for candidates to file for Switzerland County offices and run in the primary election — and with a day left, filings continue to be slow.
After tomorrow’s deadline, candidates who change their mind may withdraw from the primary election up until this Monday, February 10th; and any slots on the primary ballot that aren’t filled by candidate filings may be filled by the political party prior to the general election.
Here’s a rundown by party of those who have filed so far:
• County Commissioner, District One: Grant Dean has filed; and Christopher Clerkin has filed this week.
• County Commissioner, District Two: Melissa Brush and Ivan Green have filed.
• County Council At Large: (Each party will nominate up to three candidates) Lisa Fisher and Randall Leap have filed. Andy Haskell has filed this week.
• County Coroner: Clinton Earls has filed.
• County Treasurer: Gayle Rayles and Rene Stewart have filed.
• Republicans will also elect Precinct Committeemen this election season. Filing so far are: Jill Hutcherson in Posey 2 Precinct; James ‘Jim’ Phipps in Pleasant 1 Precinct; Samuel Girod in Cotton 1 Precinct; August W. Dauel in Jefferson 2 Precinct; Steven Jones-Ellard in York Precinct; Debra R. Turner in Jefferson 3 Precinct; and Jacqueline Washnock in Craig 1 Precinct.
• Filing to represent Switzerland County at the Indiana Republican State Convention as delegates are: August W. Dauel, Lisa Fisher, Steven Jones-Ellard, and Debra R. Turner.
• County Recorder: Nancy Brown Barker has filed.
• County Council At Large: (Each party will nominate up to three candidates) Rachel Bladen Schuler has filed.
• Switzerland Circuit Court Judge: Greg Coy has filed with the Indiana Secretary of State’s office.
This year, the following offices and position are up for election:
— Judge of the Switzerland Circuit Court. Greg Coy currently hold this office.
— County Recorder. Nancy Barker is the current Recorder.
— County Treasurer. Vicki James is the current Treasurer.
— County Coroner. Clinton Earls is the current Coroner.
— County Surveyor. Brian McAllister is the current Surveyor.
— County Commissioner, District One, which represents Jefferson 1,2, and 3 precincts; and Craig 1 and 2 precincts. Josh South currently holds this office.
— County Commissioner, District Two, which represents Posey 1 and 2 precincts; and York Township. Jerry Monjar currently holds this office.
— County Council At Large: these three people can be elect from any area of the county, and work with the four members of the County Council who are elected to represent particular areas of the county. Currently: Lisa Fisher, Andy Haskell, and Rachel Schuler hold these three positions.
Switzerland County Clerk of Courts Gayle Sullivan said that the window is now open for those who would like to register to vote in the upcoming election. If they have not already done so, citizens may register to vote until Monday, April 6th. The window to register to vote will reopen after the primary election on Tuesday, May 19th.
Anyone having any questions should contact Meagan Kilborn, Voter Registration/Election Deputy, in the Switzerland County Clerk’s Office, (812) 427-4422.