It may be a little unconventional, but Switzerland County High School will hold its Winter Homecoming tomorrow (Friday) night. The festivities will be included in the boys junior varsity and varsity home basketball games with Shawe Memorial.
Traditionally one the biggest crowds of the year, this year’s Homecoming will be held in compliance with guidelines surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic.
Switzerland County High School Principal David Todd said that each player, cheerleader, and Homecoming candidate will be allowed to bring four family members to Homecoming. Those family members will be required to sign in at the desk in the lobby of the high school. No other fans will be allowed into the gym.
The same restrictions will also apply to the boys game against Henryville being held on Saturday.
The crowning of the Homecoming Queen and King will take place between the jayvee and varsity games. There is no Homecoming dance for students this year.
Five senior girls and five senior boys were selected as Homecoming candidates. Here’s a look at this year’s Hopefuls:
• ANNABELLE BEAR is the daughter of T.R. and Lindy Bear of Vevay. During high school, she has been a member of the cheerleading, track, and golf teams. Annabelle was a state finalist for the senior individual cheer routine and a member of the All-Star Cheerleading Team. She also helped her cheer team advance to the state competition.
Annabelle has held positions as the Secretary and Vice President of FFA and has also participated in Pep Club and Business Professionals of America. She placed first-runner-up in the Teen Edelweiss Princess Pageant, earned SLC in BPA for the past three years, and won numerous awards in FFA. Annabelle has also been a gymnast for nine years and an All-Star cheerleader at River Power Athletics where she serves as a competitive gymnastics coach. She has volunteered her time at the canned food drive, the Lions Club booth at the Swiss Wine Festival, and the Lions Club Golf Scramble.
After graduation, Annabelle plans to pursue a career in elementary special education while continuing to cheer.
• BROOKE JOHNSON is the daughter of Kendra and Bobby Johnson of Bennington. During high school, she has been a member of the volleyball and swim teams. Brooke is also a member of Business Professionals of America and the National Honor Society. She is currently the treasurer of her senior class.
Brooke has volunteered her time working with the Income Tax Program and raising money for the Keeping Pace Cancer Fund. In BPA, she was a regional winner in advanced spreadsheets and received third and fourth place honors in fundamental accounting and payroll accounting. She also won Miss Congeniality at the Queen of Hearts Pageant.
After graduation, Brooke plans to attend Xavier University to pursue a career in accounting and computer information.
• JORDAN SCOTT is the daughter of Jason and Kristal Scott of Vevay. During high school, she has been a member of the soccer and track teams.
Jordan is also on the leadership committee in the Student Council, the Vice President of Business Professionals of America, the Secretary of the Spanish Club, and a member of S.A.D.D. Jordan was named All-Conference her sophomore season and All-Sectional her senior season as the goalie for the soccer team. In BPA, she went to state her sophomore and senior years.
After graduation, Jordan plans to enter the Army National Guard and pursue a degree in chemistry.
• JAYDEN THOMAS is the daughter of Nikki Thomas and Rob Bledsoe of Vevay, and Jason Thomas of Rising Sun. During high school, she has been a member of the basketball, soccer, track, and softball teams.
Jayden is the Secretary of her senior class and a member of National Honor Society and Pep Club. She has volunteered her time at the Swiss Wine Festival.
She was also part of the ORVC track championship team and a member of the four by one relay championship team.
After graduation, Jayden plans to attend Indiana State University.
• ALIYA YOUNG is the daughter of Brad and Tiffany Young of Vevay. During high school, she has been a member of cheer, RPA All-Star Cheer, and track and field teams.
Aliya is also the Treasurer of the National Honor Society, the Secretary and Treasurer of Spanish Club, and the Vice President of S.A.D.D. She is also a member of Pep Club, Outdoors Club, Key Club, Student Council, and FCA. Aliya has volunteered her time at the Whitewater Christian Service Camp, the Switzerland County Animal Shelter, the Thiebaud Farmstead, and the Mini Cheer Camp.
She has been a varsity cheer captain for three years and is on the A-B honor roll.
After graduation, Aliya plans to pursue a career in elementary education while continuing to cheer.
• MASON COVINGTON is the son of Joe Covington of Vevay and the late Barbara Covington. During high school, he has been a member of the basketball team, Pep Club, and the National Honor Society.
He also participated in the FFA basketball tournament.
After graduation, Mason plans to begin a career at Nucor Steel or NAS.
• MYLES COVINGTON is the son of Joe Covington of Vevay and the late Barbara Covington. During high school, he has been a member of the track and field and cross country teams. Myles was also a participant in the FFA basketball tournament. He was a member of the National Honor Society, Pep Club, and FFA. He has volunteered his time working at the Switzerland County Tourism Office and fundraising for his class.
Myles won the Newcomer of the Year Award for track and field. He won the ORVC Cross Country Mental Attitude Award and Pacer Award for Cross Country. He is the current Vice President of his senior class.
After graduation, Myles plans to enter the United States Navy to pursue a career as a Navy Seal.
• MICHAEL STANTON is the son of Michael Stanton of Versailles, and Angela Eicher of Bennington. During high school, he has been a member of the soccer and swim teams. Michael is also a Sentinel and the Treasurer of FFA. Michael has volunteered his time with the Angel Tree Community Fundraiser, the Mothers Day Project, the Lions Club Golf Scramble, the Lions Club Booth, and the Keeping Pace Cancer Fund.
He also worked with the Vevay Tourism Office to decorate the courthouse and participate in the Plant Growing Project. Michael is the proud recipient of a State FFA degree. He also broke the school record and won conference in swim for the 400 meter freestyle relay.
After graduation, Michael plans to enter the Coast Guard and pursue a degree in business.
• AUSTIN WOLF is the son of David and Sarah Wolf of Vevay. During high school, he has been a member of the soccer, golf, and wrestling teams. Austin has also been a member of Pep Club. He has volunteered his time at the Rise Elite Youth Wrestling Program and the Papaz Pumpkin Patch.
Austin won the Most Improved Golfer Award his freshman year and the Soccer Leadership Award his senior year. In wrestling, he won the Most Valuable Freshman Award and the Leadership for Wrestling Award. Austin was also a regional qualifier twice, the 113 pound third place conference finisher his freshman year, and the 126 pound wrestling conference champ his junior year. His junior year, he also became the first 126 pound wrestling semi-state qualifier in school history.
Austin is also a SAY soccer referee, an employee of the Vineyard Golf Course, and a seasonal employee of Simply Beds.
After graduation, Austin plans to pursue a degree in Nutrition and Dietetics while continuing his pursuits in golf or wrestling.
• JACOB WOLF is the son of Sarah and David Wolf of Vevay. During high school, he has been a member of the soccer, wrestling, track, and golf teams. Jacob has also been a member of Pep Club and Business Professionals of America.
He has volunteered his time at the Rise Elite Youth Wrestling Program, the Papaz Pumpkin Patch, and the SAY Soccer Organization. Jacob won the Golf Participation Award his sophomore year and the Most Valuable Defensive Player Award his senior year.
In wrestling, Jacob is a three year varsity captain. He was the first freshman wrestler to win conference and earned the award for Most Valuable Freshman. Jacob was also the first 132 pound semi-state qualifier in school history, and is the current all-time wrestling wins leader. He is also an employee of the Vevay Shell gas station.
After graduation, Jacob plans to enter the Air Force.