Swim teams finish fifth in ORVC meet
The girls and boys varsity swim teams from Switzerland County High School traveled to Milan on Saturday for the ORVC Conference meet.
The meet was highlighted by Pacers Nathan Furnish and Caleb Ridener earning ORVC Championships by winning their events.
The conference championship is determined by adding together the girls and boys point totals from the events. On Saturday, the boys team finished fourth with 33 points; while the girls team swam to a fifth place finish with 39 points. Combined, Switzerland County finished fifth with 72 points.
Milan won the conference with a combined score of 201; followed by Southwestern with 103. South Ripley was third with 90; Rising Sun finished with 82; and Shawe was sixth with 12 points.
• Furnish earned first place in the 50-yard freestyle. He also placed third in the 100-yard freestyle.
• Ridener earned his championship in the 100-yard butterfly; and he finished second overall in the 100-yard backstroke.
• Derek Hoskins placed second in the 500-yard freestyle.
• Kaelin Taylor placed third in the 500-yard freestyle.
• Taylor was third and Brooklyn Flanders finished fifth in the 200-yard individual medley.
• Ava Cole was third in the 100-yard butterfly; while Molly Hicks finished fifth.
• In the 100-yard backstroke, Cole placed third while Hicks placed 8th.
• Flanders placed third and Amber Detmer placed seventh in the 100-yard breaststroke.
• Taylor, Carly Bennett, Hicks, and Cole finished third in the 200-yard freestyle relay.
• Taylor, Flanders, Cole, and Bennett placed fourth in the 200-yard medley relay.
• Detmer finished sixth in the 50-yard freestyle.
• Bennett placed seventh in the 200-yard freestyle; and she finished eighth in the 100-yard freestyle.