Registration for the Switzerland County Public Library’s Summer Reading Program is now underway, and this year’s theme is “Build a Better World”.
Children from infants to teens can read or be read to and for each hour of reading, they will receive an entry form for a drawing for the prize of their choice. Adults can also read and earn entries for a special prize. Because of the generous donations from individuals, organizations, and businesses in the community a variety of exciting programs are planned.
• Story Time for children up to age 5 and their caregivers will be held on June 8th, June 22nd, and July 6th at 10 a.m.
• Saturday, June 24th: Fourth Saturday Poet and Writer’s Group meets at 2 p.m. for older teens and adults. Get inspiration from others who enjoy writing.
• Tuesday, June 27th: Adult Book Group meets at 6 p.m. Come in to reserve a copy of “What This River Keeps” and join the discussion.
• Wednesday, June 28th: “Build a Better World” with Legos at 2 p.m. In this family program, participants’ creativity will be challenged as they work together to solve problems using Legos. Legos will be provided by the library.
• Friday, July 7th: “Build a Better World” with Hot Wheels at 2 p.m. We’ll construct track and experiment with different configurations for racing Hot Wheels. The library will have some Hot Wheels, but participants who have vehicles are encouraged to bring them.
• Tuesday, July 11th: At 6 p.m., Dr. Rollin Robinson of Science Matters will present the program, “Reaction Action”. Bring the whole family for this event which makes science fun for all ages.
• Saturday, July 15th: All reading logs and entry forms must be turned in by 5 p.m.
• Tuesday, July 18th: End of Summer Reading Party Cookout at 5 p.m. Smith Backyard Party Rentals will be at the library with a Bounce House/Slide and the prize drawings will be held. Food will be served.
The library is challenging everyone in the community to help “Build a Better World” by doing random acts of kindness. For each random act of kindness, participants will add a piece to a jigsaw puzzle. The goal is to complete this 1,000-piece puzzle with 1,000 acts of kindness throughout the summer. The Summer Reading Program runs June 5th-July 15th and participants can sign up at the library any time during this six-week period.
Visit www.scpl.us for more information about the library and the complete calendar of events.