The Switzerland County School Board of Trustees held its reorganization meeting on Monday, January 12th, and welcomed new members while making elections and appointments for the coming year.
Nancy Peters, who was the board Vice President last year, opened the meeting, and turned things over to corporation attorney Matt Hocker, who swore in three members.
Nancy Peters was sworn in to begin her second term representing Craig Township; while Jill Cord was sworn in as a new member representing Jefferson Township; and Joe Bennett was sworn in as a new member representing Posey Township.
After the new board members were officially seated, Nancy Peters turned the meeting over to Superintendent Mike Jones, who accepted nominations for School Board President.
Board member Bill Roberts nominated Wayne Daugherty, with board member Josh Deck seconding the motion. Board member Jill Cord nominated Nancy Peters, but Nancy Peters declined the nomination.
Wayne Daugherty was then approved as President by a 4-0 vote, with Jill Cord and Wayne Daugherty not voting.
Assuming control of the meeting, Wayne Daugherty then asked for nominations for the office of Vice President of the board. Josh Deck nominated Bill Roberts, with Joe Bennett seconding the nomination. Jill Cord then nominated Josh Deck, but he declined the nomination.
Bill Roberts was then approved as Vice President by a 4-0 vote, with Jill Cord and Bill Roberts not voting.
Josh Deck was then nominated by Nancy Peters to serve another term as board Secretary, with Jill Cord seconding the motion. With no other nominations, he was approved by a 5-0 vote, with Josh Deck not voting.
With board officers now in place, the school board began the process of filling appointments and other offices.
– Wilma Swango was approved unanimously as the corporation treasurer; with Cindy Haskell also being approved unanimously as the deputy treasurer. Matt Hocker was unanimously approved to continue as the school board attorney.
– The school board will continue to hold its official meeting on the third Monday of each month, beginning at 5 p.m.; with an allowance to call executive sessions as needed.
– School Board salaries will remain the same, with board members receiving $112 for each regular meeting; $62 for each board-appointed committee meeting; a $2,000 a year salary; as well and other benefits.
– Bonds for school personnel were approved.
– Board President Daugherty then made appointments to committees.
• Wayne Daugherty and Bill Roberts will serve on the Negotiations Committee.
• Nancy Peters will represent the board when the School Endowment Corporation meets.
• Nancy Peters and Joe Bennett will serve on the building and grounds committee.
• The representatives to the Internal Review Committee were not made at the meeting, and those positions are expected to be filled at the board’s regular meeting on January 26th.
– Bill Roberts signed a Conflict of Interest statement due to a business relationship he has with Switzerland County Elementary School providing prizes and other items.
With offices filled and committees appointed, the next item of business for the school board was holding its annual Board of Finance meeting.
Per policy, the President and the Secretary of the school board serve as the officers of the Board of Finance; and at Monday’s meeting the board reviewed the corporation’s investment policy; reviewed its investment report; approved depositories for the safe holding of corporation funds; and heard a report of outstanding checks.
Once the Board of Finance meeting was closed, the school board resumed its regular meeting; and officially approved a ‘Project Lead the Way’ grant agreement for the high school program; approved professional leave requests; and also officially accepted the resignation from the school board of Tammy Hayes, who has served for the past two years representing Pleasant Township.
Superintendent Mike Jones announced that the school board will hold a special meeting on Wednesday, January 21st to interview candidates who have applied to fill the vacancy on the board; and he expects that the board will name a new representative from Pleasant Township at its meeting on January 26th, which will begin at 5 p.m.
He also announced that the School Endowment Corporation will hold its regular monthly meeting on Tuesday, January 27th.