Rising Sun Weekly 9-15-16

26

Compiled by

Mavis Uhlmansiek

Celebrating the history of

Ohio County and Rising Sun

50 YEARS AGO

September 15th, 1966

This year 105 units of blood were donated when the Blood Bank was here September 6th. This amount was more than double over last year. Out of the 105 units, 36 persons donated for the first time. Nineteen were rejected; however most of these can donate when the blood bank will be in Aurora in October. The success of the amount of donations was attributed to a lot of time and effort of the people throughout the county.

The Sesquicentennial Reading Club of the Rising Sun and Ohio County Public Library party was held Saturday afternoon, September 10th. Seventy boys and girls received certificates each having read at least 10 books. A total of 1,463 books were read by the members during the two months.

Lieutenant Colonel Richard W. F. Hughes, Commanding Officer of the 16th Battalion, was awarded the Joint Service Commendation Medal in a ceremony at the 4th Brigade July 30th. The medal was received for meritorious service in the performance of his duties. Col. Hughes is the son of Mrs. Emily Hughes, Fifth Street, Rising Sun.

The Rising Sun High School Baseball team opened its 1966 Conference Season with a 10 to 3 win over Sunman. Roger Webb pitched a four-hit game for the victors. Webb also led all the hitters with a 2 for 3 and drove in three runs. Mike Jackson went 1 for 1 and Rick Neal scored three runs.

The Rising Sun Public Library was erected in 1917 with a grant of $10,000 given by the Carnegie Foundation. Receipts of funds for the building were brought about by a promotion of the Women’s Club. The lot was to be provided by the community. On July 9th, 1915, Charles French, Netty McConnell, Fannie Rabb Green, Hugh Espey and Ellen Stewart met for the purpose of forming a Library Board. B. H. Scranton was named permanent chairman, Mrs. McConnell, vice chairman and Miss Stewart, secretary. A lot on the corner of Main and High streets was purchased from Mr. Espey October 11th, 1915 and a Mr. Parker hired was an architect.

The Rescue Unit Chicken Barbecue was quite successful this year. Sixteen hundred dinners were served during the day. Sue Buddenberg was crowned Barbecue Queen.

The treasurer of the Blue Jeans Festival, Inc. has announced that the organization realized a net profit of $179.87 derived from the activities at the festival held July 1966. The total receipts for the affair were $1,379.15 and disbursements were $1,199.28.

Kathryn A. Dilts was enrolled as a freshman at Hanover College this week. Among those entering Indiana State University from here this year were, James P. Maurer, Trudy Keith, Gary Bovard, Bob Gossom, and Kenny Stegemiller.

Births: a son was born to Mr. and Mrs. Harry Purcell September 10th and has been named Michael Paul; born to Mr. and Mrs. Benny Stow, a daughter, September and has been named Carol Ann.

100 YEARS AGO

September 14th, 1916

After nearly 38 years in business in the building in which he began, Oscar Jones retired Monday and turned over to his nephew, Oscar Baxter, his stock of goods, a building and residence.

110 YEARS AGO

September 14th, 1906

Repairs to Rising Sun and Rabbit Hash Ferry were completed Tuesday.

Cora Johnson will take charge of the millinery department of the “Big Store”.

It is reported that Dr. R. G. Simpson will practice medicine in Rising Sun.

Frank Heath has been selected as manager of the Farmer’s telephone exchange at East Enterprise. The company has bought a building from A. J. Sedam to be used for the office.