Rising Sun Weekly 7-28-16

324

50 YEARS AGO

July 28th, 1966

The Lions Club observed its 20th anniversary with a dinner – meeting at the Magic Valley boat Lodge Restaurant Saturday evening. About 50 members, wives and guests attended. Paul Scudder, president, conducted the program, which included honoring William Detmer, only charter members still in the club.

From Scribblings by Dorotha Stegemiller: A tribute is extended to our Lions Club in observance of twentieth anniversary. Organized July 24, 1946, the club was sponsored by the Lawrenceburg Lions Club. Of the 35 charter members, William Detmer, is the only one still in the club. There are at present 15 active members. Six deceased members include Irvin Griffith, John Broadus, Leonard Teke, Claude Morehead, Pat Lettieri and Charles Gary. The first meetings were held at Hankinson’s Restaurant on Main Street. Raymond Hankinson served as the first president. Other presidents have been Max Hollingsworth, Roy Gibson, Jim Green, Charles Gary, Al Efkeman, Lester Brown, Leonard Martin, Wallace “Hoppy” Ryle, William Detmer, Paul Scudder (3 times), Ralph Housemeyer (2 times), Bill King and Bernard Housemeyer (3 times). Throughout the years, the organization has supported local, national, and international projects, such as, cancer research, leader dogs for the blind, the eye bank, and the recent project of District, a camp for children being constructed near Greensburg. Varied projects have been promoted locally. The first of these were boat races which the club sponsored for two years. The late Dean W. Whitlock arranged the events with help of boating enthusiasts. A Fourth of July celebration begun in 1948 has become an annual affair. From 1946 to 1951 traveling softball and basketball teams were sponsored. The basketball team, coached by Elmo Gossom and Max Hollingsworth, gained recognition participating in the American Basketball tournament two years at Atlanta, Georgia and one year at Springfield, Missouri. Realizing a need for a youth program in the vicinity, Little League ball teams were formed in 1952 under the leadership of President Lester Brown, with “Hoppy” Ryle and Paul Scudder as co-workers. Beginning with four teams, the outstanding program has grown to fourteen teams consisting of four Pee Wee teams, five Little League, four Pony, and one traveling Little League.

It was also in 1952 that the local club sent a gavel to the Tokyo Lions Club, as a gesture of friendship to create a better international feeling. The Tokyo members, in turn, sent Rising Sun a framed Japanese flag bearing the famous “rising sun” emblem of their country. The group organized a club at Patriot in 1954 which, unfortunately did not succeed due to the small size of that community. When the new high school was built on the site of the old playground land on the new recreational area was leased in 1957 for concession stand operated at ball games. Members erected a building of 30 by 40 feet. The cost of $1,000 was paid off in two years. Sponsoring of the local Boy Scout troops is the most recent project undertaken by the organization as it strives to give continuous support to local, national and international matters.

The Olive Branch Baptist Church was presented with a new pulpit communion table and covers and candelabras; gifts from the Ladies Bible Class.

Murphy’s August white sale: Café curtains (24-inch) 87 cents; percale sheets, twin fitted or flat, $1.77; full flat or full fitted, $1.97; Cannon bath towels, 77 cents each; washcloths, 3 for 77 cents; bed pillows, 2 for $5.00.

Time is running out at Rising Sun State Bank – interest on savings accounts is 3 1/2 percent and interest on certificates of deposit is 4 percent.

Ad reads: Announcing – the purchase of The Rising Sun Silgas Company by Lucian Koons from John Pike. Phone 239 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. or home phone 838-F. Office is located at 221 Main Street (in the rear of Nell’s Fashion Shoppe).

The Rising Sun Mobil station operated by Don Wagner, is sponsoring an Ohio County lucky license plate number with a drawing every Sunday for a new winner of a bedspread. The winner the past week was Clarence Hunt, manager of the Phillips 66 station in town.