50 YEARS AGO
October 5th, 1967
The farmers recently named to serve as the Agricultural Stabilization and Conservation Ohio County committee are: Floyd M. Neaman, Ira Turner, and Raymond Berkemeyer. Alternates elected were: John A. Coy and Wilford Krall.
As the second year of the Southeastern Indiana Vocational School begins, it is noteworthy that there is an increased enrollment of 257 above last year’s pioneer effort. A total of 653 students have been registered to date in regular day programs.
Rising Sun letter carriers today started delivery of ZIP-A-LIST kits to every householder in the area. Postmaster Robert Wadsworth urged all residents to use the postal cards contained in the kits to obtain the ZIP Codes needed for addresses in their personal mailing lists.
Plans are being made for a public auction to be held November 11th at the Aberdeen-Mt. Carmel Church. The auction is to be sponsored by the Young Adults of the church. Ray Walton will donate his services for the sale.
Mr. and Mrs. Alvin Birdzell attended striping ceremonies of their daughters, Barbara and Brenda at Mt. Auburn Presbyterian Church, Cincinnati Thursday evening September 28th. The twins are now seniors in the Bethesda Hospital School of Nursing.
Scribblings by Dorotha Stegemiller: Sunday will be a big day at the Shiloh Baptist Church when the 100th anniversary is observed with special morning and afternoon services. Organized in October 1867, the members first worshipped in the Universalist Church until the present building on Second Street was purchased. The church building, erected in 1843 by the Old School Presbyterian Church, is older than the congregation. The second floor was added in 1844 by the Masons. Since the building served two different organizations, there was never an inside connection between the two floors. After the first floor was vacated by the Presbyterian Church in November 1871, “old timers” say the building was used as a refuge for runaway slaves. During this time it was known as the Old Grand Army building. Some of the church records have been lost, therefore, the exact date is unknown when the first floor of the building was purchased by the Shiloh Baptist. However, they gained ownership of the entire building in July 1952 when the second floor was bought from the K of P Lodge. The first pastor was Elder C. Harris of Madison. The Reverend J. J. Williams, present minister has served the church since 1937, commuting each Sunday from his home in Glendale, Ohio. Although membership today only numbers 40, the church has prospered. There is a Deacon and Trustee Board, Sunday School, Missionary Society, Junior and Senior choirs, Rosebud Choir, Brotherhood, Deacon’s Wives Council and Pastor’s Aid Society. The annual Homecoming Day, held for many years the first Sunday in August, brings former members and friends from far and near.
Mug & Jug will serve plate lunches beginning Monday, October 9th including short orders and sandwiches. Open 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Phone number 68.
Births: to Mr. and Mrs. Terry Robinson, a daughter September 22nd; to Mr. and Mrs. Mason J. Uhlmansiek, a son Mark James born September 28th at Dearborn County Hospital; to Mr. and Mrs. Russell Grimes, a son Eric Wayne born September 23rd.
100 YEARS AGO
October 4th, 1917
The local orders of the Jr. OUAM and the D of A gave a reception in Clark’s Hall for the third contingent of Ohio County soldier boys who will soon leave for Camp Taylor.