Reflections 7-4-13


News compiled by Ginny Leap from past

issues of

Switzerland County newspapers


A total of 74 buyers spent $91,635 at Saturday night’s Switzerland County 4-H Fair livestock auction, and although the number of animals was down from previous years, auction officials still felt that this year’s event was a success.

Monday night’s meeting of the Switzerland County Commissioners saw an overflow crowd as many residents of the Mount Sterling area of the county came to voice their opinion on the rezoning of a piece of property in that community. David Miller of Pennsylvania had earlier reached an agreement with Billy Carpenter. His intention was to build a business on the property, selling bulk food, handmade furniture, and other items. Since the property is not zoned for general business use, David Miller asked the County Zoning Board to redesignate the land and change its zoning to general business so that he could proceed with his plans.

James “J.D.” and Reva Johnson of Vevay will celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary with a reception on Sunday, August 3rd, from 1-5 p.m. at the Switzerland County YMCA.


It’s hard to imagine that the Switzerland County 4-H Fair could be any more successful than it has been in the past. The 1993 fair, held last week, featured high attendance every day and a record-breaking livestock auction. A total of $96,847.50 was spent at the livestock auction. There were 91 different buyers and 194 4-H animals were sold.

Jennifer Weales, daughter of Rick and Cheri Weales of Vevay, has joined the staff at King’s Daughters’ Hospital in Madison as a certified athletic trainer in the physical therapy department of the hospital’s new Rehabilitation Center. She recently graduated from Franklin College.

One winter day in 1930 in Lawrenceburg,, Kentucky, a teen-age girl named Lorraine Robinson came to work in the McKee family’s house. The mother of the family was ill and a housekeeper was needed. Six months later the housekeeper joined the family. She married one of the McKee boys – Morris McKee. Now, after 63 years, they’re still married and very happily, too. Morris and Lorraine McKee celebrated their 63rd wedding anniversary Tuesday, July 13th.


Stephanie Ann Sublett, 16, was crowned the 1983 4-H Fair queen Monday night before a packed grandstand crowd of appreciative fans. She is the daughter of Wayne and Carol Sublett of route 2, Vevay. Members of the queen’s Court were Missy Judy, Laura Alexander, Jeanette Bacon, and Cheryl Petty.

Venita M. Bovard-Thomas, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Bovard, recently graduated from the Institute of Medical and Dental Technology. She has been accepted to work for the Rising Sun Family Dental Center.

The Switzerland County School Board officially announced the signing of a new head varsity basketball coach for the high school during their regular meeting Monday evening. According to Chester Meisberger, School Superintendent, the board approved a two-year contract for Otha D. Smith for the upcoming 1983-84 and 84-85 basketball campaigns.


Eight Switzerland County girls are entered in this year’s 4-H Fair Queen contest. Debbie Bear, Gay Hastings, Julie Lee Janes, Kathy Marie May, Jeni Ricketts, Karen Spurlock, Karen Thornton, and Emma VanTyle.

Roy McKay, a widely known native and former resident of Switzerland County, died late Tuesday night at King’s Daughters’ Hospital in Madison. He was 89. Mr. McKay operated the ferry between Lamb and Carrollton before becoming a partner in the Ohio River towboat David W. McKay with his brother, W. Ray McKay.

Carroll Clements of Vevay retired after a 32-year career as a repairman with United Telephone.


Gam Woodfill, 71, well-known farmer living near Center Square, died suddenly at 8:48 a.m. Monday at the farm of a neighbor, Clyde Lewis. Coroner Howard Buchanan ruled that death was due to a heart attack. Mr. Woodfill was assisting Mr. Lewis in housing baled hay. They had just unloaded the wagon and Mr. Woodfill was resting up on it when he was stricken.

Miss Virginia Evelyn Peelman, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Peelman of Vevay, and Dan Peelman of route 2, Vevay, were married Friday evening at the home of Reverend Fred Griffith, officiating minister.

Mrs. Annie P. Tebow of Cincinnati, 95, oldest living graduate of Vevay High School, will be among the visitors to Vevay during sesquicentennial week. Mrs. Tebow is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James K. Pleasants and resided with her parents and brothers at their family home on West Market Street, now the property of Mrs. Genevieve Scott.


Miss Roberta Dickason and Robert D. Lamson were united in marriage Thursday night in Vevay Methodist Church. Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Dickason and Mr. and Mrs. Harry D. Lamson of Vevay are the parents of the couple.

Miss Arbanna Armstrong, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Durward Armsrong, became the bride of James L. Harris, son of Mr. and Mrs. Guy S. Harris, Thursday, July 2nd, at Patriot Methodist Church.

John P. Dorrell, 87, a prominent farmer of Ohio and Switzerland counties, died at his home just over the line in Ohio County about 8 o’clock last Friday evening.


George W. Shelley, retired farmer, died at his home in Vevay on the morning of July 8th. He had been in ill health for some time and about two weeks ago suffered a heart attack to which his death was attributed.

Rationing of coffee, one of the first foodstuffs to be brought under government control, has been relaxed for the first time beginning July 1st. Coffee will be allowed on a pound per every three weeks basis.

Willliam Isaac, four-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Jackson of Aberdeen, broke through the cover of a small cistern containing about a foot and a half of water. Mrs. Jackson, hearing his cries, placed a ladder and the boy, thoroughly wet, climbed out.

Born, July 13th in Indianapolis, a son to Lieutenant and Mrs. John David Stepleton.


Bruce B. Banta, aged 69 years, committed suicide sometime Friday by hanging himself with a raincoat belt in his room in Vevay.

Mr. and Mrs. George B. Hall, formerly of Winston-Salem, North Carolina, arrived Monday in Vevay for permanent residence. Mr. Hall will reenter the practice of law here with his sister, Mrs. Gretchen H. Cole, under the firm name of Hall and Cole.

Charles C. Shaw, president of the Vevay Deposit Bank, died suddenly at his home in Vevay Thursday. Mr. Shaw had been in ill health for some time past, but his death came unexpectedly as he was preparing to go to the dining room for lunch.


Miss Margaret Scott and William C. Dickason, both of Vevay, were united in marriage June 25th at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. James Scott.

Walter C. Benedict, prominent Markland business man, died at his home Friday morning. He had been in poor health for a number ofyears.

The lot sale conducted on the Brindley tract of land near the ice plant last Friday was a pronounced success. A crowd estimated at 1,000 was in attendance, and lots sold from $650 down to $100.

Mrs. Harriet Seavers, resident of Tapps Ridge, died at her home there Thursday morning after a short illness.

B.F. Thiebaud and George B. Beeson, both of Connersville, spent a few days in Vevay fishing in company with Earl S. Brown. The trip caught more than 100 fish on one trot line, ranging in size from a 13 pound buffalo to quarter-pound speckled fiddlers.


William I. Reed died at his residence in Vevay July 6th, after a lingering illness. Mr. Reed, who was 68 years of age, practiced dentistry in Vevay for 16 years.

Joseph Stanley, the liveryman of Madison, is advertising in this issue of the Reveille for a horse which he hired to a man last week but which has not been seen since. The man gave the name of Myers and claimed to be a sailor. He is supposed to have come this way.

Two mysterious fires in the Center Square neighborhood within the last week have excited a good deal of comments. One was a house belonging to Mrs. Wolcott and another a barn belonging to Ab House. Boh are believed to be of incendiary origin, although the reason for the action is not quite clear.

Allen Myers has sold his interests in the Heady and Myer livery stable to William and John Heady and relinquished his place Tuesday morning.

Born, July 5th, a son to Mr. and Mrs. Allen Oaman of Aaron.


Last Friday evening Mrs. Belle Peelman, nee Belle Cain, took rat poison and died shortly after midnight. She was about 22 years old.

Licensed to marry: Charley Planz and Belle Hyde.

Last Tuesday evening a vest containing a watch was stolen from the residence of James Anderson.

Died in Cincinnati, Ohio, Thursday, July 5th, Mrs. Eliza Gerard Patton, aged 66 years. Mrs. Patton was a resident of Vevay until about 12 years ago.

Last week Thomas E. Kincaid, deputy sheriff, arrested Frederick Stevens and placed him in jail. Stevens is charged with robbing the money drawer of Joseph Jickell on Main Street.

Last Saturday afternoon two desperadoes entered the town of Florence and declared they would capture the town and dared anyone to arrest them. They fired their revolvers and yelled until the population was aroused and Constable Robert Edrington started to arrest them. Baldwin shot Edrington in the breast, inflicting a slight wound. They were finally arrested and brought to Vevay where they were lodged in jail.

On January 10th, Jesse Stevens of Jacksonville, was charged with stealing honey and bee hives from Samuel Barker. Stevens made his escape to Kentucky. Last week he was found between Liberty and Eagle Station, Kentucky, and brought to Vevay where he will be tried in the next session of court.


A little son of Thomas Wakefield of Craig Township came near losing his life last Saturday. Mrs. Wakefield had prepared an infusion of jimison leaves and vinegar for the purpose of an external application when the child deized it and drank it. Only the timely arrival of Dr. Tevis of Brooksburg saved his life.

The express agent at Patriot in stepping from the wharfboat to a steamer on the night of July 7th, missed his footing and fell into the river. He was rescued but about $700 was lost by the accident.


Civil War news: The Battle of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, fought July 1st, 2nd and 3rd was the high pooint of the war. On July 1st, Federal cavalry encountered confederates moving into Gettysburg to capture a supply of shoes reported there. Reinforcement arrived on both sides. Federals were pushed back to Cemetery Hill and occupied Culp’s Hill and Cemetery Ridge.