The Annual Rising Sun QuiltFest attracted hundreds of quilt enthusiasts over this past weekend. The event was held from Friday March 27th through Sunday, March 29th at the Ohio County Historical Museum in Rising Sun.
“Best of Show”, entitled ‘Star Struck’, went to Julie Yaeger Lambert of Erlanger, Kentucky. It took first place in the Best Machine Quilting category. She had the first place in large mixed technique, which was selected as the “Mayor’s Choice” by Rising Sun Mayor April Hautman. Her Mustard Plate appliqué quilt earned her another top prize.
Nearly 100 exhibits were on display; and family was the focus of many exhibits.
- Chloe Fletcher won the Youth Quilt with ‘Curved Log Cabin’.
Going from her winning place mats a year ago, the Ohio County Elementary Middle School student’s latest work was a gift for her mother Stephanie Fletcher, who had her own quilt on display. Kathy Bultman, grandmother, received honorable mention for hers.
– Belinda Schraeder entered her great-grandmother Fairchild’s work and grandmother Maurine Pfeifer’s.
- Betty Ann Pavy, founder of the Quilt Show from her former Value Mart business, received an honorable mention; while “Art Work” was represented by her daughter Sherrie Howard and grandson Ben Eads.
- Guest speaker Diane Livezey gave presentations on antique tools. Her award-winning work was on display as well.
Other Winners included:
– Judge’s Choice: Linda Upp, Sharonville, Ohio.
– Best Hand Quilting: Judy Huffman, Hamilton, Ohio.
– Appliqué Quilt (Second): Elsie Sprague, Cincinnati, Ohio.
– Large Pieced Quilt: Kathy Fahey, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Large Pieced Quilt (Second): Gretchen Eifrig, Cincinnati, Ohio.
– Small Pieced Quilt: Harriet Schierenbeck.
– Small pieced quilt (Second): Judy Huffman, Hamilton, Ohio.
– Large Mixed (Second): Mary Burke, Hamilton, Ohio.
– Small Mixed: Leisa Shipp, Florence, Kentucky.
– Small mixed (Second): Mary Carol Meinken, Cincinnati, Ohio.
– Novelty Quilt: Linda Luggen, Cincinnati, Ohio.
– Novelty Quilt (Second): Martha Bladen, Vevay.
– Art Quilt: Zoe Enright, Cincinnati, Ohio.
– Art Quilt (Second): Lynn Gorz, Petersburg, Kentucky.
– Youth Quilt: Chloe Fletcher, Rising Sun.
– Art Work: Marty McGraw, Patriot.
– Art Work (Second) Martha Bladen, Vevay.
Other entries include:
– Appliqué quilt entries were made by Nancy Withers of Batavia, Ohio; Leis Shipp of Florence, Kentucky; Joanne Rigsbee of Florence, Kentucky; Linda Thomas of Rising Sun; Sandy Broering of Rising Sun; Elsie Sprague of Cincinnati; Linda Upp of Sharonville, Ohio; Kathy and Melinda Williams of Bennington; and Roslyn Henschen of Lawrenceburg.
- Pieced quilts: Deanna Balderson of Edgewood, Kentucky; Nancy Withers of Batavia Ohio; Jerri Steigerwald of West Chester, Ohio; Joanne Schulte of Crittenden, Kentucky; Lynn Gorz of Petersburg Kentucky; Kim Pearson of Cincinnati, Ohio; Harriet Schierenbeck of Wyoming, Ohio; Martha Bladen of Vevay; Judy Stancel of Burlington, Kentucky; Gretchen Eifrig of Cincinnati, Ohio; Theresa Muth of Hebron; Stephanie Fletcher of Rising Sun; Lind Upp of Sharonville; Kathy Fahey of Cincinnati; Betty Ann Pavy of Rising Sun; Kathie Williams of Bennington; Belinda Schraeder of Rising Sun; Jackie Barrett of Aurora; Barbara Lindsey of Cold Spring, Kentucky; Mary Burke of Hamilton, Ohio; Kathy Bultman of Dillsboro; and Kathryn Schraeder Ashley of Aurora.
– Mixed quilts: Leisa Shipp of Florence, Kentucky; Zoe Enright of Cincinnati; Diane Livezey of Edgewood, Kentucky; Joanne Rigsbee of Florence, Kentucky; Sandy Broering of Rising Sun; Kathleen Fahey of Cincinnati), Linda Luggan of Cincinnati), Mary Carol Meinkin of Cincinnati), Judy Stancel of Burlington, Kentucky; Linda Upp of Sharonville; Betty Ann Pavy of Rising Sun; Kathie Williams and Melinda Williams of Bennington; Jackie Barrett of Aurora; Roslyn Henschen of Lawrenceburg; and Mary Burke of Hamilton.
– Novelty quilts: Jerri Steigerwald of West Chester, Ohio; Linda Lugge of Cincinnati; Donna Cooper of Rising Sun; and Jackie Barrett of Aurora.
- Art Quilts: Zoe Enright of Cincinnati; Martha Bladen of Vevay; Jennifer Graham of Sunman; Lynn Gorz of Petersburg, Kentucky; Theresa Muth of Hebron, Kentucky; and Sandra Charles of Rising Sun.
– Youth Quilts: Chloe Fletcher of Rising Sun; and Madeline Dykstra of West Chester, Ohio.
– Art Work: Marty McGraw of Patriot; Melodee Stepleton of Vevay; Martha Bladen of Vevay; Ben Eads of Aurora; and Sherrie Howard of Rising Sun.
– Community Quilts: made by Rosalie Maheaney, grandmother of Chrys Cook of Aurora; Belinda Schraeder displayed her great grandmother Fairchild’s quilt and grandmother Maurine Pfeifer’s; Bev Strasemeir of Aurora; Annie Larkins Bell, grandmother of Ann McCarty of Patriot; Jackie Barrett of Aurora; and Chris Combs of Rising Sun.
– Vendors included: Four Winds Jewelry of Patriot; Handmade Baskets by Molly of Rising Sun; Lavender Street Fabrics of Morrow, Ohio), Luke’s Sewing Centers of Elsmere, Kentucky), Original Creations, LLC of Hebron, Kentucky; Sculpted Jewelry by Ginny of Harrison, Ohio; Seasonsong of Vevay; StatzerArt of Cincinnati, Ohio; Sunny Raye Jewelry of Rising Sun; Sunshine Stitchers of Rising Sun; The Crazy Quilter of Rising Sun; The Soap Shepard of Brookville; and Weekend Quilts of Brookville.
The event was sponsored by the city of Rising Sun, Ohio County Community Foundation and the Ohio County Convention, Tourism and Visitors Commission.
- Tim Hillman