Patriot News 02/14/2019

Can you get to a phone to call for help in the case of a medical emergency? Do you take your phone outside with you?


Can you get to a phone to call for help in the case of a medical emergency? Do you take your phone outside with you? The answer to these questions could virtually mean life or death. Your life!

  Two of my friends suffered strokes recently. Both were alone. One laid on the floor beside his bed for over 10 hours until a friend happened by and became curious enough to force the issue. He had no home phone and could not reach his cell phone. He lives alone.

  The other was also alone. He suffered sudden left sided weakness and slurred speech. Not having a landline, he was able to drag himself up an entire flight of stairs to his bedroom where he’d left his cellphone. Once he had the cellphone, he sent a text to his wife who then called 9/11 for him. He tells me he did not try and call himself because he knew his speech was slurred. It seems when he first noticed his sudden clumsiness, he cursed at himself and by doing so — realized that his speech was off.

  I’ve lived alone for many years now but the older I get, the more I am convinced that we seniors must take an active part in our care. Despite the ridiculous price ($40+/month) of a home phone, I know that at least the 911 operator can trace that phone line and obtain my location if need be. During my 35 years in law enforcement, I have seen first-hand the sad too often outcome of a delay in calling for help. I have made forced entry into locked homes and found individuals deceased. I have also responded in sub-zero temperatures to find individuals who have fallen and actually frozen to the ground once literally just 20 feet from their front door.

  Please heed my plea! If you do not have easy access to a phone, get one. Put an inexpensive extension phone on the table beside your bed and scattered throughout your home. Bathrooms are great places for a phone. If you think purchasing phones for your home with extensions is too expensive, try and compare the cost of those phones with just one ride to the hospital in an ambulance. Time is everything when you have a stroke. Whether or not you receive the life-saving treatment as soon as possible may not only determine your ability to recover from the effects of the stroke but even if you live or die.

  Mike Bear made my day this week! He called me to ask to be taken off of the Prayer List! Awesome! Taking someone off of the list is a whole lot more fun that putting someone on.

  Congratulations to my very dear friends Mary and Tony Christiani on their 61st Wedding Anniversary, Friday, February 8th. The Reverend Stephen and Mrs. Sharon Ward will be celebrating their anniversary on February 14th. The February birthdays this month are: Wendy Yanikoski (2/1), Mary Ellen Witt and Sandy Dawson (2/5), Alanna Smith (2/9) and Lulu Belle Thomas (2/13).

  The February meeting of the Red HOT Hatters will be at the Captain Hook’s Seafood Restaurant in Carrollton, Kentucky tomorrow (Friday, February 15th) at 11 a.m. Marie Cole has suggested that we carpool over and those interested in doing so should meet at the YMCA where they will leave at 10:30 a.m. Those of us living on the ‘other side’ of the county, might want to meet up with me at the Markland Shell and carpool over and again, we should leave no later than 10:30 a.m.

  Prayer list: Sue Bear, Ellyn Kern — wife of Jerry Brown, Aletha and Owen Heaton, John Campbell, Sharon and Bill Levell, Bruce Hutcherson, Irvin and Eva Fette, Rev. Stephen and Sharon Ward, Jake Rader and Red HOT Hatters Stasia Wiseman, Barb Dowdy, Mary Christiani, Lura Riga and June Lack.

  Prayers of comfort to the family of Eddie Trinkle especially to his cousin Leah Jones upon his passing last weekend. I first met him through Patty Chase, and I was totally stunned when notified by Mike Jones. Eddie grew up near Vevay on Plum Creek and attended Vevay High School. After high school he joined the United States Air Force. He retired from the Air Force and worked several years for the Navy. He resided in the Yorktown, Poquoson, Norfolk Virginia area for many years. Eddie was the last one living in his family. His siblings were brothers Jack and Randall and sisters Jane, Vera and Libby. He religiously read the Vevay Reveille and often called me to comment on its content. He was such a super man and — at least on the phone — he had me pretty much convinced that he was doing well and winning his fight with cancer.  He was optimistic to the end. Patty and I and Ruth Lohide will miss him terribly.

  You may contact me several ways: by leaving a note of message inside the cat mailbox in front of 1995 Front Street in Patriot; by calling my home at (812) 594-2281; or by dropping me a note at P.O. Box #01, Patriot, Indiana, 47038. In addition, contact KAY E COOK on Facebook or online at If you have anything for me to include in this article, please send it to me. Information can be received any day of the week but normally my deadline is Sunday at noon for that week’s issue of the paper. Any news received later will appear in the following week’s article. If you need something in a particular issue, please get it to me early.