The Switzerland County Pacer wrestling team participated in a two-day invitational wresting tournament in Scottsburg recently.
The tournament started on Friday evening and concluded on Saturday afternoon. There were nine wrestling teams in the tournament, including: Scottsburg, New Washington, Crawford County, Eastern (Pekin), Jennings County, Southwestern, Paoli, Salem, and Switzerland County.
The Pacers competed both as a team and as individual wrestlers. Wrestling is one of the few sports that enables a wrestler to compete for team points as well as individual points.
The Pacers have difficulty competing as team due to the fact that the team has five weight classes that are not filled. The unfilled weight classes force the Pacers to forfeit 36 points during each match. Even with the 36 point deficit in forfeits, the Pacers finished the tournament in fifth place.
On an individual basis the Pacers have proven to be a tough team that can compete with any team. During the tournament on an individual basis the wrestlers finished with:
– Keegan Ray in the 120-pound class finished 4-5.
– Dalton Woodward in the 126-pound class had outstanding day at 8-1.
– Collin Bovard in the 132-pound class finished 4-5.
– Dustin Wallace in the 138-pound class was on his way to a perfect day until he sustained a shoulder injury during his seventh match and could not finish the day, ending with a record of 6-1.
– Alex Herbert in the 182-pound class had a phenomenal day going undefeated at 9-0.
– Tyler Thomas in the 220-pound class had a nearly perfect day at 8-1.
The Pacers have an invitational tournament at New Washington on December 27th.