Pacer track keeps striding past injuries
Things are heating up on the Switzerland County track as the high school Pacers boys and girls teams are posting impressive times in spite of battling through injuries.
In this week’s action:
On Tuesday, April 19th, the Pacers participated in a three-way meet at Lawrenceburg.
In the girls meet, Lawrenceburg won with a total of 85 points; followed by Switzerland County with 62 and Rising Sun with seven.
Freshman Claire Rogers continued to establish herself as the best distance runner in the area, earning victories in the 800-meter run (2:36.41), the 1,600-meter run (5:52), and the 3,200-meter run (13:57.56). She also teamed with Amber Detmer, Macy Collier, and Dakota Richards to finish second in the 3,200-meter relay.
Senior Raylinn Kappes again earned first place in the 100-meter dash (:13.21); and teamed with Carly Bennett, Megan Wetzel, and Brooklyn Flanders to win the 400-meter relay (:55.22). Kappes also finished third in the 200-meter dash.
Wetzel earned the other Pacer blue ribbon, winning the 300-meter intermediate hurdles (:54.7).
• Second places were earned by Collier in the high jump; Bennett in the 100-meter hurdles; Terra Oeffinger in the shot put; Flanders in the 400-meter dash; and Detmer in the 3,200-meter run.
• Third place points were earned by Bennett in the long jump; Oeffinger in the 100-meter hurdles; Wetzel in the 100-meter dash; Hannah Hayes in the discus; Detmer in the 1,600-meter run; and Richards in the 400-meter dash.
• Hayes was fourth in the shot put; Bennett was fourth in the 300-meter intermediate hurdles; Kiara Pope was fourth in the 400-meter dash; Miranda Earls was fifth in the discus; McKaylinn Wehman was sixth in the discus; Detmer was sixth in the 800-meter run; and Flanders was sixth in the 200-meter dash.
In the boys meet, Switzerland County finished second with 34 points, but were outdistanced by Lawrenceburg (103) and were ahead of Rising Sun (29).
Pacer Cooper Hon had a huge night, earning three individual first places. He won the 800-meter run (2:20.27), the 1,600-meter run (5:04.18), and the 3,200-meter run (11:24.41). Hon teamed with Nathan Furnish, Derek Hoskins, and Dylan Sullivan to finish second in the 3,200-meter relay.
Switzerland County’s other first place finish was earned by Matt Davis, who won the 100-meter dash (:11.67).
• Finishing in second place was Carl Abplanalp in the shot put; while third places were posted by Davis in the 200-meter dash and the 1,600-meter relay team of Davis, Derek Hoskins, Tyler Hoskins, and Furnish.
• In fourth place was Furnish in the 1,600-meter run and the 3,200-meter run, and Tyler Hoskins in the 200-meter dash; fifth places were earned by Chazz Hartley in the 300-meter intermediate hurdles; and Derek Hoskins in the 400-meter dash. Seventh place points went to Tyler Hoskins in the 100-meter dash; Sullivan in the 1,600-meter run; and Preston Chapman in the 800-meter run.
South Dearborn Invite
On Thursday, April 21st, the Pacers participated in the South Dearborn Invitational as they continued to battle injuries.
In the girls event, Switzerland County finished fourth out of the 12 teams with 87 1/2 points.
There were no first place finishers for the Lady Pacers, but Raylinn Kappes was second in the 100-meter dash and Claire Rogers was second in the 800-meter run, the 1,600-meter run, and the 3,200-meter run.
• Third places were earned by Alisha Detmer in the high jump; the 3,200-meter relay team of Alisha Detmer, Macy Collier, Gracie White, and Rogers; Megan Wetzel in the 300-meter intermediate hurdles; Gracie White in the 800-meter run; Kappes in the 200-meter dash; and the 1,600-meter relay team of Amber Detmer, White, Wetzel, and Kappes.
• The 400-meter relay team of Carly Bennett, Wetzel, Brooklyn Flanders, and Kappes was fourth; Collier was fifth in the high jump; Amber Detmer was sixth in the 3,200-meter run; Alisha Detmer was seventh in the long jump; Bennett was seventh in the 100-meter hurdles; Hannah Hayes was seventh in the shot put; and Flanders was seventh in the 400-meter dash.
The Pacer boys team had limited participation on Thursday due to injury; and finished 11th out of the 12 teams with 26 points.
Cooper Hon earned a blue ribbon in the 3,200-meter run in a time of 11:02.63. He was also third overall in the 1,600-meter run.
The 3,200-meter relay team of Nathan Furnish, Derek Hoskins, Dylan Sullivan and Hon were fifth; Furnish was seventh in the 800-meter run; the 400-meter relay team of Darian Graham, Matt Davis, Tyler Hoskins, and Derek Hoskins finished eighth; and the 1,600-meter relay team of Davis, Derek Hoskins, Tyler Hoskins, and Furnish finished 10th.