The Switzerland County boys varsity track team saw two individuals and a relay team advance to the Regional during last Thursday’s Sectional meet held at Jeffersonville; but the season came to a close for the rest of the squad.
Sophomore Keegan Morris advanced in the 100-meter dash, finishing third in the finals with a time of :11.43. He will be joined at the Regional by Justin Green, who advanced by virtue of his third place finish in the discus with a distance of 128’5″.
In a late addition, the Switzerland County 400-meter relay team of Brody Splain, Hayes, Joe Hemingway, and Morris, which finished fourth at the Sectional in a time of :45.19, was added to the list of Regional participants by the IHSAA on Wednesday morning, May 24th. The top three in each event automatically qualify; and Switzerland County athletic director David Todd wasn’t sure why the fourth place team got bumped up to the Regional, but they will compete.
Other Switzerland County athletes earning points at the Sectional included:
– Will Pike finished fourth in the 400-meter dash in a time of :54.25.
– Max Anders was fifth in the high jump with a height of 5’8″.
– Zach Howlett was seventh in the discus with a distance of 122’5″.
– Hunter Hayes was eighth in the 200-meter dash in a time of :24.87; and he was also eighth in the long jump with a distance of 18’5″.
– Cameron Papucci finished eighth in the 800-meter run in a time of 2:09.53.
– Cameron Niswander was eighth in the 300-meter intermediate hurdles with a time of :45.06.
– The 1,600-meter relay team of Tre Batchelor, Bailey Bennett, Pike, and Niswander finished fifth in a time of 3:45.83.
– The 3,200-meter relay team of Papucci, Iago Fernandez, Jordan Lay, and Landon Wilks was sixth in a time of 9:34.53.
As a team, Switzerland County finished fifth overall with a total of 38 points.
Jeffersonville won the Sectional with 153 points; followed by Silver Creek (139); Charlestown (68); Scottsburg (63); Switzerland County; Madison (35); Austin (24); Henryville (22); Rock Creek Academy (22); Southwestern (15); Shawe Memorial (4); and New Washington (2).
Morris and Green; and the 400-meter relay team, will now participate in the Bloomington North Regional tonight (Thursday, May 25th).