4/24/2014 3:00:00 PM Pacer band members earn spots
in Indiana All Star Band
These members of the Switzerland County High School Marching Band have earned the right to participate in the Indiana All Star Marching Band, which will march in the Indianapolis 500 parade on May 24th. Shown here are, front row, from left: Jerry Clayton, Anna Lockwood, Rhea Dawn Powell, and Alysa Parr. Back row: Alyssa Behrens, Chelsey Holyoke, Chantel Baatz, and Amanda Norfleet. Tyler Peelman will also participate, but was not available when the photo was taken. Destiny Brown was also honored, but will not participate due to conflicts with other school activities.
When the Indiana All Star Band marches down Washington Street in Indianapolis on Saturday, May 24th, for the Indianapolis 500 Festival Parade, nine of the members of the prestigious band will hail from Switzerland County.
This will be the 17th annual performance of the band, which is assembled from the best high school musicians and band members from around the state through the National Band Association.
The band is comprised of wind players and flag corps members from bands all across the State of Indiana; and the band is made up of only 200 total members.
From Switzerland County:
- Jerry Clayton, baritone player, will be in the band for the second time.
- Anna Lockwood, clarinet player, will be in the band for the second time.
- Tyler Peelman, flute and saxophone player, will be in the band for the second time.
- Alyssa Behrens, flag corps member, will be in the band for the second time.
- Alysa Parr, clarinet player, will be in the band for the first time.
- Amanda Norfleet, trumpet player, will be in the band for the first time.
- Rhea Dawn Powell, flute player, will be in the band for the first time.
- Chelsey Holyoke, flag corps member, will be in the band for the first time.
- Chantel Baatz, flag corps member, will be in the band for the first time.
In addition to these nine, flag corps member Destiny Brown was also selected, but she will not be able to attend due to a conflict with other school activities here.
The 10 honored band members is the largest number that Switzerland County has ever had selected, and is double the number of last year's honorees.
Band members will travel to Indianapolis on Friday, May 23rd in preparation for the performance; with the parade for Saturday. The students will be receiving the music that they will be playing in the near future so that they can practice and learn the selections prior to arriving in Indianapolis.
Tammy Beitzel is the Switzerland County band director.