Switzerland County High School will host homecoming festivities tomorrow (Friday) night when Rising Sun visits. The junior varsity game will begin at 6 p.m.; with this year’s Homecoming Queen and King being crowned between the jayvee and varsity games.
This year there are six senior girls vying for the honor of being named Homecoming Queen.
Here’s a look at the candidates:
- OLIVIA HEWITT is the daughter of David Hewitt of Florence and Christy Cutter of Fairview. During high school she has been a member of the volleyball and track teams, and is a captain of the girls’ varsity swimming team. She is also a two term president of FFA, the president of Key Club, has held offices in both Fellowship of Christian Athletes and Pep Club, and is the historian of the Conservation Club. Olivia has volunteered her time for the Quercus Grove Food Pantry, the FFA Homeless Project, the Lake Geneva Roadside Clean-Up Effort, and the Kids Against Hunger Program. She is also an assistant water aerobics instructor, lifeguard, swim instructor, and camp counselor at the YMCA.
Olivia is the reigning Miss Switzerland County, has earned all A’s throughout high school, and is in the top 10-percent of her class. She is a Wendy’s High School Heisman Finalist, a 2010 World Food Prize Youth Summit Indiana Delegate, a 2012 regional high jump qualifier, and a Rising Sun Church of Christ Youth and Worship member. Olivia plans to attend Hanover College or the University of Indianapolis to major in Kinesiology or athletic training with the intent of becoming an aquatics therapist.
- JENNIFER JOHNSON is the daughter of Bridget and Donnie Johnson of Rising Sun. During high school she has been a member of volleyball, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, and Pep Club. She is also a track manager, the president of the National Honor Society, the Vice President of the Student Leadership Advisory Council, and the secretary of the Conservation Club.
Jennifer won district and state gold medals in 2011 from the ISSMA. She was also a member of the Indiana All State Honor Choir in 2011 and 2012, and a member of the American High School Honor Performance Series at Carnegie Hall in 2013. She is also in the top ten percent of her class, and works at Little Lambs Childcare and Ministry. Jennifer plans to attend college to acquire a doctorate in pediatric physical therapy with specializations in burn and cancer units. She also aspires to pursue a minor in music.
- LENZI PARHAM is the daughter of Joe and Crystal Parham of Vevay, Indiana. During high school she has been a member of the soccer, softball, cheerleading, and basketball teams. She has also participated in FFA, Pep Club, FCA, SADD, Business Professionals of America, Key Club, and the Conservation Club. She is also the vice president of the National Honor Society and holds the office of treasurer for her senior class. Lensi has volunteered as a weekend helper at the Switzerland County Animal Shelter since 2011, and as a bell ringer for the Salvation Army. She was awarded the Most Outstanding Mid-Fielder in soccer and has been a captain of the team for two years. She also attended the Senator Lugar Symposium in 2012, was chosen to represent SCHS in the 2012 Pumpkin Show, has been a student representative for the Swiss Wine Festival Board of Directors since her freshman year, and was the first runner-up in the 2011 Swiss Wine Festival Princess Pageant. Lensi has maintained an overall A average throughout high school which has placed her in the top ten percent of her class. She also is employed at the Dairy Queen in Warsaw, Kentucky. Lensi plans to attend the Air Force Academy to pursue her dream of becoming a prosecuting attorney.
- LINDSEY TURNER is the daughter of Nancy Hart of Madison and John Turner of Canaan. During high school she has been a member of the softball team and a varsity co-captain of the cheerleading squad. She has also participated in Pep Club, National Honor Society, and French Club. Lindsey has volunteered her time bell ringing for the Salvation Army and helping out at the Tater Bug Ultra Marathon.
She is certified in Microsoft PowerPoint, is in the top ten percent of her class, and has always been on the A and B honor roll throughout high school. She is currently employed at Mumbles BBQ and Mr. Gattis in Madison. Lindsey plans to attend the School of Business at the University of Louisville to major in marketing and minor in communications.
– ASHLEY WATSON is the daughter of Gary and Gina Watson of Vevay. During high school she has been a member of the softball, volleyball, and basketball teams. She is also a senior class officer committee member, an officer in the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, and was the secretary of her junior class. She has also participated in Key Club, Pep Club, and FFA throughout her high school career. Ashley has volunteered her time as bell ringer for the Salvation Army, a tornado disaster worker in Henryville, and a helper at the Quercus Grove Food Pantry.
Ashley made the 2011-2012 All Sectional and All Regional teams in softball, and was also captain of the volleyball team. She attended Hoosier Girls State, and made the A and B honor roll throughout her high school career. She is also a member of the Olive Branch Baptist Church Youth Group, and is affiliated with the American Legion Auxiliary. Ashley plans to attend Empire Beauty School to obtain a license in cosmetology.
– RACHEL WHITHAM is the daughter of Steve and Sherri Whitham of Florence. During high school she has been a member of the volleyball team and the cheerleading squad. Rachel has also participated in Pep Club, SADD, National Honor Society, the Conservation Club, and the Business Professionals of America. She has volunteered her time supporting the Relay for Life, collecting donations for tornado victims in Henryville through the American Red Cross, and helping out the Tater Bug Ultra Marathon.
Rachel has been a varsity co-captain of the cheerleading squad during her junior and senior years and a varsity girls’ manager on the track and soccer teams. She is also in the top ten percent of her class, a state finalist for word processing through BPA, and is employed at the YMCA as a lifeguard. Rachel plans to attend the University of Southern Indiana to pursue a career in radiology.