Switzerland County experienced an odd weather pattern over the weekend, paying homage to the saying, “If you don’t like the weather in Indiana, wait an hour, and it will change.”
After the possibility of the season’s first heavy snow forced a wide array of cancellations on Saturday, the beginning of the weekend saw much of the county and the area get from three to five inches of snow.
Workers from the town, county, and state worked quickly to remove that snow from streets and roads; and some rain on Saturday also helped to melt the snow.
Saturday night is when things got strange.
Residents in Vevay experienced rain overnight on Saturday; while residents to the north saw more heavy snow. While people could see their grass in town; county residents saw as much as another five inches of snow, again causing cancellations and delays.
Again, thanks to steadfast work by town, county, and state highway workers, things were nearly back to normal on Monday morning, as Switzerland County Schools did not have to cancel or issue a delay.
With the season’s first storm now in the past, the county may be bracing for another round of winter weather this weekend.
The National Weather Service is forecasting both rain and snow for this area.
• Today (Thursday): The National Weather Service says that rain is likely, possibly mixed with snow showers in the morning, then turning to rain. The high will be near 44, with south wind three- to seven-miles per hour. Chance of precipitation is 80-percent. Little or no snow accumulation is expected.
• Tonight: Rain is likely, mainly before midnight. It will be cloudy with a low around 34. Chance of precipitation is 60-percent. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch are possible.
• Tomorrow (Friday): Mostly cloudy, with a high near 40; but Friday night there is a chance of snow after 3 a.m. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 31. Chance of precipitation is 40-percent.
• Saturday: Snow likely before 8 a.m., then rain and snow likely between 8a.m. and 9 a.m., then rain after 9 a.m. High near 39. Chance of precipitation is 80-percent.
• Saturday Night: Rain before 8 p.m., then rain and snow likely between 8 p.m. and 10 p.m., then snow likely after 10 p.m. Low around 19. Chance of precipitation is 80-percent.
• Sunday: Partly sunny, with a high near 21; then Sunday night things get cold, as it will be mostly cloudy, with a low around 4 degrees.