Fire may have resulted from overheated tablet

26

A fire early on Tuesday morning may have resulted from an overheated computer tablet.

At approximately 5:30 a.m. Tuesday morning, the Jeff-Craig Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched to an apartment complex on Swiss Avenue on the east side of Vevay.

Fire Chief Chris See said that upon arrival, fire crews found a middle apartment full of smoke and a small fire in the corner of the living room. He said that all occupants were outside of the apartment with no apparent injuries. The fire was completely extinguished and all burnt materials were taken out of the residents.

Occupants initially reported that a candle was the possible culprit however after a brief investigation it was determined that a Samsung Tablet electronic device was what may have started the fire.

A candle and lighter were also located at the fire’s point of origin, but See said that the candle was not lit, a lid was on it, and the glass container was not damaged.

According to investigators, the electronic device appeared to have somehow over heated, swelled, and ruptured in an area near the battery compartment.