The Switzerland County FFA chapter will host its annual ‘Queen of Hearts’ pageant and program this Sunday afternoon, May 15th.
The program will begin at 2:30 p.m., and will be held in the cafeteria at Switzerland County High School.
The program centers on community service, with each candidate providing a platform that they feel is important to them and to the community. The FFA chapter adopts the platform of the winning candidate for the coming year.
At this Sunday’s program, a freewill donation will be accepted at the door, with all proceeds going to a literacy program for children in developing countries — which was the platform of 2021 Queen of Hearts Ava Cole.
To assist in raising funds for this program, the FFA chapter will also be selling beef jerky sticks.
This year there are six candidates vying for the title of ‘Queen of Hearts’:
• CARLY BENNETT is the daughter of Joe Bennett and Lisa Lloyd. She is a member of the volleyball, swim, and track teams. She is also a member of BPA. She has volunteered her time with Vevay Tourism. She currently works at Vineyard Golf Course and Shell’s Ice Cream and Grill.
She hopes to graduate high school with her associates degree and honors diploma. Her honors include: BPA state and national qualifier, and she is also a member of the National Honor Society.
After high school she plans on obtaining a Bachelor of Science in Chemistry and a certificate to be a Surgical Tech. She is being sponsored by Dawn Ellis Licensed Massage Therapist.
Carly’s platform for the pageant is the Switzerland County Animal Shelter.
• MACY MARGARET COLLIER is the daughter of Lance and Katie Collier. She is a member of the FFA currently serving as Chapter Treasurer and soon to be Vice President. She is a member of the state qualifying Parliamentary Procedure, Skillathon, Livestock Judging and Ag Issues Team. She is a member of the varsity volleyball, basketball and track teams. She is an eight year member of the Moorefield Celebrities 4-H Club and member of the American Legion Auxiliary Post 185.
She has volunteered for the YMCA Trail of Treats, Swiss Wine Festival parade, Lions Club festival booth and Keeping Pace event. Her honors include: National Honor Society, first place District FFA Creed Contest, Star Greenhand, first place District Goat Entrepreneurship SAE, and first place in Individual Area 11 Livestock Judging.
Along with earning varsity letters and scholastic awards in volleyball, basketball, track; she was nominated for the Sophomore Leadership group and has earned numerous grand and reserve champions and showmanship award in 4-H with cattle, goats, sheep, swine and rabbits.
After high school she plans on obtaining a Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing then work in a children’s hospital with Type 1 diabetic patients. She is being sponsored by Circle C Farms.
Macy’s platform for the pageant is Juvenile Diabetes Awareness — ‘Know the Signs’.
• RAYCHEL HENSLEY is the daughter Jody Hensley and Charlotte Hensley. She is a member of the FFA, 4-H, and Pep Club. In high school she has participated in softball and cheerleading. She is also a Cosmetology student at the Career Center.
She has volunteered with the Swiss Wine Festival, First Friday Events and 4-H. Her honors include: fourth runner up Edelweiss Teen Princess in 2018 and 2019, and fourth runner up Edelweiss Princess and has received a Year 1 Outstanding Student Award.
After graduation she plans on attending the University of Louisville to study nursing. She is being sponsored by the Vevay Vintage Prop and Shop.
Raychel’s platform for the pageant is Safe Passage.
• HAILEY HINES is the daughter of Chuck and Tracy Rogers and James Hines. She is a member of the BPA, National Junior Historical Society and helped run their event at the Thiebaud Farmstead. She is a member of the National Honor Society and a four year member of the varsity golf team.
She currently serves as the Senior Class President. She has volunteered for the Switzerland County Animal Shelter, the Madison Veteran’s Cemetery, the Switzerland County Food Pantry and the Swiss Wine Festival.
Her honors include: Most Valuable Golfer the past three years, All- Conference in Golf, she holds the 9 hole school record, 2021 Low Medalist Regional Qualifier and was award the conference Mental Attitude Award.
After graduation she plans on attending the University of Louisville to study mechanical engineering. She is being sponsored in the pageant by Rider Realty.
Hailey’s platform for the pageant is the Switzerland County Animal Shelter.
• TERRA OEFFINGER is the daughter of Sarah Oeffinger and the late Keith Oeffinger. She is a member of the volleyball, basketball, and track teams. She is involved in FFA, BPA and the Junior Historical Society Club. She has volunteered her time with the Lions Club, Swiss Wine Festival, YMCA, Historical Society and the YMCA basketball camps.
Her honors include: National Honor Society, Scholar Athlete Awards, Honor Roll, 2020 State Parli Team and a 2021 Regional runner on her track 4×100 team.
She is undecided about her plans after high school. She is being sponsored in the pageant by Bear Branch Supply.
Terra’s platform for this year’s pageant is ‘Athlete Minds Matter’.
• DAKOTA RICHARDS is the daughter of James and Jill Richards. She is a member of FFA and served at secretary in 2020 and 2021, current FFA President. She participates in varsity soccer, basketball, track and is currently the Junior Class Secretary. She is also a member of the Pep Club.
She is a nine year 4-H member, 4-H camp counselor and group leader and is President of her 4H club. She also attends Mount Sterling Baptist Church where she is a youth group member.
Her honors include earning inclusion in the National Honor Society.
After high school she wants to become a veterinarian. She is being sponsored by Andrew Farm.
Dakota’s platform for the pageant is the Dementia Society of America.