Edelweiss Princess pageant this Sunday kicks off 50 years of SWF
The 50th Swiss Wine Festival will hold its first event this Sunday, August 7th, in the Switzerland County High School cafeteria. The program will begin at 4 p.m., and there is no admission charge.
The Edelweiss Princess crowned on Sunday night will then reign along with her court over this year’s festival, which will be held over four days — from Thursday, August 25th through Sunday, August 28th.
The Edelweiss Princess will also represent the Swiss Wine Festival at the Indiana State Festivals Association’s pageant later this year.
The winner will receive a $2,000 scholarship; while the first runner up will receive a $1,000 scholarship; the second runner up will receive a $500 scholarship; and the third runner up will receive a $250 scholarship.
This year there are nine candidates for the honor. Here’s a look at the hopefuls:
• ANNABELLE BEAR is the daughter of T.R. and Lindy Bear of Tapps Ridge Road; and she is being sponsored in the pageant by Edelweiss Floral.
The 19-year old will be a sophomore at Purdue/Ivy Tech. While in high school she served as Vice President and Secretary of FFA, and earned her FFA State Degree. A four year varsity cheerleader, she was a co-ed cheerleader at Purdue University last year. She was the 2021 Miss Switzerland County.
Annabelle’s career ambition is to graduate from college with a master’s degree in elementary education and special education; and would like to become a cheer coach to change people’s outlook on cheerleading.
• ARIEL BLADEN is 17 years old and she is being sponsored in the pageant by Rod Dickerson, RS Home Sales. She is the daughter of Christina Bladen and Joshua Bladen of Nixon Lane near Canaan. She will be a senior this fall at Switzerland County High School.
Ariel is a member of Mt. Sterling Baptist Church; has earned HOSA (Heath Occupations Students of America) awards for persuasive speaking and writing; and is a member of the National Society of High School Scholars. She enjoys volleyball, cheerleading, hiking, and spending time with family.
Ariel’s career ambition is to complete the second year of her dental assisting program; and following high school to further her education in expanded function and become a COA.
• ALISHA DETMER is being sponsored in the pageant by Palomino Solutions. She is 18 years old and is the daughter of Allen and Michelle Detmer of near Patriot. The valedictorian of the Class of 2022, she will be a freshman this fall at Northern Kentucky University. She was the Round Robin Showmanship winner at this year’s 4-H Fair; earned awards throughout high school in cross country, swim, and track; and earned awards for her efforts in FFA. She earned the Paul Ogle Scholarship this year. She is also involved in church activities; horseback riding; and drawing.
Alisha’s career ambition is to be a surgeon.
• ALLISON FURNISH is the daughter Stephanie and Raymond Furnish of near Mt. Sterling, and is about to begin her junior year at Purdue University. The 20-year old is being sponsored in the pageant by Stephanie Furnish, CPA.
Allison has earned inclusion on the dean’s list at Purdue; earned Exemplary Student Works Recognition; is serving as the President of Women in Animation; and is the Production Manager of Blackhole Animation Studios.
Majoring in animation, visual effects and compositing, and Building Information Modeling, she has over a year’s experience as a graphic designer at SDI Innovation in Lafayette, Her career ambition is to be a creative director of a major production team in the entertainment or construction industry.
• SAMIRAH NDIAYE is 17 years old and is the daughter of Telisa Ndiaye of Vevay. She will be a senior this fall at Switzerland County High School, and is being sponsored in the pageant by Vevay Shell.
She won the Dutchess Award at the Kentucky State Festivals pageant; and will be graduating with honors next Spring from Switzerland County High School. She enjoys playing volleyball; helping in the community; and working her part time job.
Samirah’s career ambition is to be a zoologist and bring awareness to helping animals from going extinct.
• KEIRSTAN OEFFINGER will be a sophomore this fall at Indiana University and is 19 years old. She is the daughter of Sarah Oeffinger of near Quercus Grove and the late Keith Oeffinger, and is being sponsored in the pageant by Brad Baldwin, Rider Realty.
At IU, Keirstan has earned inclusion in the Phi Eta Sigma National Honors Society; is a Founder’s Scholar; and has earned inclusion on the dean’s list. She holds membership in the IU Human Resources Association; ‘A Kid Again IU’, Girls Run Indiana, the Alzheimer’s Student Alliance; Future Professionals in Healthcare; and the 21st Century Leadership Corps.
Her career ambition is to work in the Human Resources Department at Cook Medical as the Human Resources Manager and specialize in talent acquisition.
• McKAILA PEELMAN is the daughter of Dustin and Heather Peelman of near Vevay, and will be a senior this fall at Switzerland County High School. The 17-year old is being sponsored in the pageant by Roxano’s Restaurant.
McKaila has earned inclusion with the National Honor Society; and is taking dual credit courses with an aim of graduating from high school while also earning her associate’s degree in general studies. She also balances her studies with working a part time job. She enjoys playing volleyball and spending time with family.
Her career ambition is to attend Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, and earn a degree in history with a goal of becoming a high school teacher.
• KAYLA SCRANTON is being sponsored in the pageant this year by Vevay Main Street, and the 20 year old will be a junior this fall at Hanover College. She is the daughter of Harold and Lisa Scranton of near Fairview.
The recipient of the 2020 Lilly Endowment Scholarship, Kayla is a member of the Nu chapter of the Kappa Alpha Theta sorority, and she is also a cheerleader at Hanover. She is also a member of the auxiliary of the East Enterprise Volunteer Fire Department; and is also a member of the auxiliary of American Legion Post #185.
Kayla’s career ambition is to be a prenatal or pediatric genetic counselor.
• LILY WILLIAMS will be a senior this fall at Switzerland County High School and is 17 years old. She is the daughter of Laura Williams, of near East Enterprise, and is being sponsored in the pageant by Tiny Tornado’s Daycare.
Lily is a member of Mt. Sterling Baptist Church; is a member of the local 4-H program where she is involved in the Junior Leaders program; and is a member of HOSA (Heath Occupations Students of America); and has earned honors for her participation on the SCHS golf team. She also enjoys dance, which she has been involved in since she was three.
Lily is currently in her second year in the dental program at Southeastern Career Center; and her career ambition is to attend the University of Cincinnati-Blue Ash, to become a dental hygienist.