Purdue Cooperative Extension, Switzerland County, has announced that its annual ‘Dining with Diabetes’ series is underway.
‘Dining With Diabetes’ consists of two more sessions and a follow-up. Adults with type 2 diabetes and their family members, caregivers, and support persons are invited to participate.
Sessions are being held in the basement of the courthouse from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on the following Wednesdays: March 29th and April 5th.
Nutrition and physical activity are keys to managing your type 2 diabetes, but where do you start? The ‘Dining with Diabetes’ program can help! Designed especially for people with type 2 diabetes, this program will help you learn the skills needed to promote good health.
‘Dining with Diabetes’ is taught by trained and caring educators. The program includes:
– Planning meals and snacks with delicious and healthy recipes
– Cooking demonstrations and food sampling
– Motivation and support: connect with others living who are living with diabetes
– Ideas for being more active
– An understanding of how diabetes affects your overall health
You will learn about:
– Reading food labels
– Using a variety of sweeteners
– Using seasoning to replace salt
– The role of fiber in the diet
– The difference between various types of fat
– The importance of exercise
– Setting personal goals to manage your diabetes.
For more information, contact the Purdue Extension office at (812) 427-3152.