Autumn is upon us, and for many that means preparations for Halloween – one of the most popular holidays of the year. There are all sorts of activities and events going on around the Switzerland County area. Here’s a guide for those wanting to make their Halloween plans:
• Swiss Villa Nursing and Rehabilitation Center will host its second annual ‘Truck or Treat’ event tonight (Thursday, October 26th).
Everyone is invited to put on their favorite costume and come and celebrate with residents of Swiss Villa from 6-7 p.m. Children can participate in a costume contest; and there will be hot dogs for everyone; and candy will be handed out to the visitors. All ages are welcome. Please bring your own trick or treat bag.
Swiss Villa is located at 1023 West Main Street in Vevay.
• River Baptist Church will host its ‘Trunk or Treat’ event tomorrow (Friday, October 27th) from 6-8 p.m. at the church. Hot dogs and chips will be served. River Baptist Church is located at 1341 Spring Branch Road off of State Road 56 west of Vevay.
• The Vevay American Legion Post in Vevay would like to invite the community to its Halloween party tomorrow night (Friday, October 27th).The party will be from 6-8 p.m., with live music provided by the ‘Diamondback’ band. Everyone is welcome, and those wanting to contribute may also bring a covered dish to share.
• The East Enterprise Fire Station will host its annual Community Hayride tomorrow (Friday, October 27th) night. Rides will start at 7 p.m.; 7:30 p.m.; 8 p.m.; 8:30 p.m.; and 9 p.m.; and hot chocolate and coffee will be served after each ride. Freewill donations will be accepted, and benefit the East Enterprise Volunteer Fire Department.
• The Switzerland County YMCA will host its ‘Trail of Treats’ this Saturday, October 28th. The event will be held from 2-4 p.m., and everyone is invited to stop by for a day of fall family fun. There will be carnival-like games for children of all ages; many fall activities; and their will be a trail of treats and a s’mores bar.
All family friendly costumes are welcome.
Those interested in participating or in volunteering should contact the YMCA at (812) 427-9622.
• Brushy Fork Baptist Church will hold its ‘Trunk or Treat’ event this Saturday, October 28th. The festivities will be held from 2-4 p.m.; and provides children with a safe place to trick or treat. The church hopes to have more than 20 cars set up in its backyard for kids to trick or treat; and there will also be an inflatable obstacle course (weather permitting) for children.
In the event of rain, the event will be held in the church’s Fellowship Hall.
Brushy Fork Baptist Church is located on State Road 250 just west of Pleasant off of State Road 129.
• The annual Vevay Halloween Parade will be sponsored this year by Switzerland County 4-H, and will be held this Saturday, October 28th.
The parade will begin at 5 p.m., and will be held at the Switzerland County Fairgrounds. Those wishing to participate in the parade, including children, adults, and families in costume – should be at the Community Building on the east end of the fairgrounds in enough time to be organized for the 5 p.m. start.
The parade will then travel west through the midway area of the fairgrounds, finishing at the Switzerland County TEC Center parking lot.
To enter the parade, call (812) 599-1130; or the Extension office at (812) 427-3152.
Trick or Treating in the town of Vevay will then be held this Saturday, October 28th, from 6-8 p.m.
• The Moorefield Community Volunteer Fire Department will host its fourth annual ‘Trunk or Treat’ event this Saturday, October 28th.
The event will be held inside the truck bay at the firehouse; and will be from 7-9 p.m.
There will also be a “Best Decorated Truck” contest. Everyone is invited.
• The Patriot Town Board is inviting any and all interested persons for the second year in a row to meet at the intersection of Highways 156 and 250 the evening of Halloween to share in ‘Trunk-N-Treat’ festivities.
The town parking lot at that location will be the staging area for the Halloween fun to be held between 6- 8 p.m. on Halloween night, Tuesday, October 31st.
Bring your kids, your parents, your car, your truck, your ugly costumes and your candy and share with the Town of Patriot for a Hollowing Good Time.