The Switzerland County Commissioners met on Tuesday, December 27th in a special end of the year meeting.
County Highway Superintendent Darrell Keith reported that the Highway Department is looking at a used grader. The cost of the grader will be $88,500, or it can be rented for $5,000 a month with $2,500 going toward the purchase of the equipment. The Commissioners advised Keith to rent the grader first to make sure it is in good working order.
The Commissioners made reappointments to all the local board openings as follows:
• East Enterprise Regional Sewer District: George Vann.
• Tourism: Pam Haines, Barb Davidson, Steven Jones Ellard.
• School Endowment: Adam Cole, Mark Lohide.
• Southeastern Indiana Regional Planning Commission: Sarah Brichto, Barb Davidson, Lary Jones.
• Redevelopment: Lary Jones, Gene Crabtree, Galen Rayles.
• Health: Joe Spiller, Cindi Wagner.
• Alcoholic Beverage Commission: Floyd Knaus.
• Planning and Zoning: Jim Phipps.
•Cemetery Board: Carolyn Miller, Barry Brown, Cindy Barnes, Robert Robbins, Nancy Barker.
• Commission Corrections: Josh South.
• Southeastern Indiana Solid Waste District: Mark Lohide.
•The Moorefield-Bennington Sewer District has an opening that needs to be filled as soon as possible.
– Mark Lohide made a motion to give the YMCA and additional $5,000 over the $10,000, that was agreed on in a previous meeting. There was some discussion related to the request from Dawn’s Fitness Center at the previous meeting to let county employees work out for $5,000. The motion to give the Y any additional money failed and the amount agreed on is still intact.
– The Commissioners agreed on a codification ordinance. This will enable the county to have all ordinances codified and any outdated ordinances deleted.
– The board tabled requests to repair the grease pit in the Jack Sullivan Building and also to replace or repair the interceptor in Dr. Findley’s office.
– Josh South made a motion to rehire all County Highway Department employees and the motion was approved.
– Josh South made a motion to rehire Wil Goering as the County attorney and this motion was approved.
– Emergency Management Director, Tom Moore will schedule a county wide alert test. If you don’t receive the alert on your cell phone or home phone, you should call the EM office. The test will be advertised ahead of time so the county will be aware of when it will be given.