The Switzerland County Commissioners met on Monday February 6th.
In matters discussed by the commissioners:
– Carolyn Miller gave the annual cemetery commission report. She also wanted to express her appreciation for the help from Sheriff Hughes’ group. She said they saved the commission $50 for every headstone that was lifted.
-Aaron Bell presented the annual Southeastern Indiana Solid Waste District report.
He informed the commissioners that a few people have been dumping animal carcasses in the dumpsters and contaminating the recyclable materials. Therefore all these have to go to a landfill.
– Katie Collier gave the 2016 update from the Switzerland County Soil and Water Conservation District. She also reported that the organization’s Annual Meeting will be held on Thursday, March 23rd at 6:30 p.m., and will include honoring some Switzerland County farmers.
– Susan Craig of the Southeastern Indiana Regional Planning Commission, informed the commissioners that the meeting would also double as a public hearing for the East Enterprise Regional Sewer District. The East Enterprise sewage plant will be applying for a grant in the Spring to try to help fund the plant. The present sewage rates are $42.80 per month and will jump to $58.
– Planning and Zoning Director Mark Archer appeared in front of the board to ask about purchasing new copies of the county comprehensive plan. He stated that some of the new members need copies. The commissioners agreed to the purchase. He also told the board that he believes that the price of permits should be increased. Josh South suggested that they look over the current plan and update it in the near future.
– Dave Muncie from Century Link explained the problems with the phone line computers in the Nurse Managed Clinic. He gave them a quote of $3,152 to install a phone line cabinet in one office in the department.
– The commissioners ask Highway Department Superintendent, Darrell Keith about the road slips. Keith told the commissioners that there are currently 18 slips. The main ones that need attention first are on Spring Branch and Markland Pike. They will look at the slips to determine if a sub contractor is needed to repair the roads.
– Leo Rumsclag, Janssen & Spans gave the final 2016 bridge inspection report, noting that there are several bridges in the county that need repaired.
– The carpet in the clerks office in the courthouse will be replaced on Monday, February 20th as the courthouse will be closed for Presidents Day. The commissioners approved the quote for $2,835 for the carpet and $650 for the entryway tile.
– The commissioners tabled the topic of repairing the grease trap in the Jack Sullivan building, and also the one in Dr. Findley’s office.
– The board will take sealed bids for the coolers used from the food pantry.
– The county wide clean up was approved. There will be eight dumpsters placed at the highway department in East Enterprise from April 21st-23rd.
– The country will look at purchasing the emergency truck from the Jeff-Craig Fire Department at a cost of $20,000. If it is approved, the unit will be housed in Posey Township.
– Rosemary Bovard