The Switzerland County Commissioners met on Monday June 16th, in a regularly scheduled meeting.
In business discussed by the commissioners:
- The Commissioners discussed the exterior condition of the County Courthouse. There are repairs that need to be done: gutters, brick repair and some painting. The commissioners were all in agreement that these repairs need to be done, and will present this to County Council.
– At a previous meeting, the commissioners approved the purchase of the house on the corner of Pike and Main Cross streets that adjoins county property. The purchase price was $35,000.
Fred McAlister was awarded the bid of $4,000 to tear down the house. This work has been completed.
- John Day of the highway department informed the board that crews will start the chip and seal process of some county roads around the end of July. He will inform the Commissioners the location of the roads before they start.
– Connie Wallace turned in her letter of resignation from the EMA office.
– The Commissioners also approved trading a highway department truck to Mainland Diesel, for mechanic work on vehicles. The truck to be traded was going to cost more to repair than it was worth, so the decision to trade it was unanimous.
- The Commissioners approved a request to pour a new pad at the highway garage in front of the salt building.
The pad will be 50 x 70 with a cost of $8,000; and will be done in-house.
– Joseph McDonough of American Legal made a proposal to the commissioners to update all county ordinances into one book with website access also.
The Commissioners were interested and said they will have to present this to the County Council for approval.