On Saturday, December 5th, the Switzerland County High School Business Professionals of America chapter traveled to West Washington High School to participate in the 2016 District Leadership Conference.
BPA sponsor Kodi Thayer said that he students have been prepping themselves and preparing for this contest in the hopes of advancing to the State Leadership Conference.
“In order to advance, students must place in the top five in computerized and objective tests, place in the top three in individual judged events, and place in the top two in team events,” Thayer said. “We had 23 members compete at the District Leadership Conference, and of those 23, 20 advanced on to the State Leadership Conference.”
The state leadership conference will be held in Indianapolis on March 6th-8th.
Here’s a look at how Switzerland County students ranked:
– Hunter Zorn earned first place in Integrated Office.
- Nolan Armstrong earned first place in Advanced Office Systems and Procedures.
- Bre Braun earned first place in Advanced Spreadsheet Applications.
- Nick Braun earned first place in Fundamental Desktop Publishing.
- The Administrative Support Team of Bre Braun, Brooke Todd, Courtney Gullion and Hunter Zorn earned first place.
– The Parliamentary Procedure Team of Anna Lockwood, Elisia Davis, Hope Tankersley, Kayla Jordan, and Kylie Carfield earned first place.
- Tyler Manbeck earned second place in Advanced Spreadsheet Applications.
– Hope Tankersley earned second place in Fundamental Desktop Publishing.
- Mary Streett earned second place in Extemporaneous Speech and third place in Prepared Speech.
– Calleigh Powell earned second place in Prepared Speech and sixth place in Extemporaneous Speech.
- The Presentation Management Team of Ariel Oeffinger, Garrett Demaree, and Sydney Thomas earned second place.
- The Global Marketing Team of Mackenzie Covington and Summer Dickerson earned second place.
- Anna Lockwood earned third place in Intermediate Word Processing.
- McKenna Edwards earned third place in Advanced Word Processing and fourth place in Interview Skills.
– Kayla Jordan earned third place in Fundamental Desktop Publishing.
– Summer Dickerson earned fourth place in Human Resource Management.
– Sydney Thomas earned fifth place in Fundamental Desktop Publishing.
– Elisia Davis earned fifth place in Fundamental Word Processing.
- Garrett Demaree earned fifth place in Fundamental Spreadsheet Applications.
- Tyler Perry earned fifth place in Fundamental Spreadsheet Applications.
– Alex Edwards earned sixth place in Fundamental Desktop Publishing.
- Samuel White earned eighth place in Fundamental Spreadsheet Applications.
The Switzerland County BPA chapter also had students compete in open tests, which means that any student could go in and take a 50 point objective test. Students do not advance to state with open tests, but Switzerland County did have a number of students place in these events.
– Financial Math: Hunter Zorn, fifth; Nolan Armstrong, ninth.
– Computer Programming: Nolan Armstrong, eighth.
– Business Meeting Management: McKenna Edwards, fourth; Mackenzie Covington, sixth.
– Marketing, Management, and Human Resources: Summer Dickerson, fourth; Mackenzie Covington, fifth.
– Parliamentary Procedure Concepts: Kylie Carfield, second; Anna Lockwood, sixth; Kayla Jordan, seventh; Mary Streett, eighth; and Alex Edwards, ninth.