The Switzerland boys track team traveled to Jeffersonville for the IHSAA Boys Track Sectional last Thursday night; and despite only fielding 10 runners in the event – came away with an impressive fifth place finish.
The accomplishment moves the team’s season record to 31-19.
Silver Creek won the sectional crown over host Jeffersonville; while third place went to Scottsburg and fourth place to Madison
There were 12 teams competing in the Sectional.
The Pacers individually put together an impressive showing as they captured three Sectional Championships on the night.
– Senior Braden Burk continued his dominance of the 800-meter run with a second consecutive Sectional title with a time of 2:01.69.
– Junior Ben Curran won the 300-meter intermediate hurdles in a time of :41.69.
– Junior Talen Taylor put together a gutsy performance to come from fifth place with less than a lap to go to earn the title in the 3,200-meter run with a new personal best time of 10:11.87.
“I am proud of what this group has accomplished this season as a whole,” Pacer head coach Tyson Skinner said. “There have been some bumps in the road but we made it and a good group of guys is moving onto the next stage in the state tourney.”
For the second year in a row the Pacer will have six events moving on to the Regionals.
Other qualifiers for Switzerland were:
– Ben Curran, who qualified by finishing fourth in the 110-meter hurdles; and he also tied for second in the high jump, earning a trip to the Regional.
– Brody Splain, Cameron Papucci, Dakota Taylor and Braden Burk placed second in the 1,600-meter relay with a personal best time of 3:51.77; also earning them a trip to the Regional.
Other placers for the Pacers were: Jordan Lay: seventh in the 800-meter run; and the 3,200-meter relay team of: Talen Taylor, Jordan Lay, Cameron Papucci, and Braden Burk, which finished fifth.