The Switzerland County girls and boys swim teams participated in the Madison Invitational on Saturday – and the day was highlighted by a rare feat by Lady Pacer Ally Furnish.
Furnish, who is a sophomore, was part of two record-setting relay teams on Saturday. She teamed with Abigail Cole, Abigail Niswander, and Zoe Cole to set a new school record in the 200-yard medley relay, clocking a time of 2:26.41 (finishing second overall).
Furnish then teamed with Chaeli Kurch, Zoe Cole, and Abigail Niswander to establish a new school record in winning the 200-yard freestyle, posting a time of 2:02.85.
But the two new records don’t tell the whole story.
In being a part of those relays, Furnish becomes the first female athlete in school history to hold every school record in one sport at one time. It doesn’t take long to see who holds which record in Switzerland County girls swimming – because Ally Furnish holds them all.
Mikhail Cole accomplished the same feat for the boys swim team in 2013, but Coach Eric Cole said that this is a first for the ladies.
As a team, Switzerland County finished third with 220 points. Madison won with 267 points; and Oldenburg Academy finished with 260 points.
– Ally Furnish won the 100-yard freestyle in a time of 1:00.00; and she also won the 100-yard breaststroke in a time of 1:23.43.
– Zoe Cole was third in the 200-yard freestyle in a time of 2:44.65; and she finished third in the 100-yard freestyle in a time of 1:09.52.
– Josie Stogsdill was seventh in the 200-yard freestyle in a time of 4:12.45; and she was fifth in the 100-yard breaststroke in a time of 2:02.29.
– Aaliyah Ridener was fifth in the 200-yard individual medley in a time of 3:39.93; and she was also fifth in the 100-yard backstroke in a time of 1:38.10.
– Abigail Niswander was third in the 50-yard freestyle in a time of :30.16.
– Abigail Cole was seventh in the 50-yard freestyle in a time of :34.67; and she finished fifth in the 500-yard freestyle in a time of 8:06.30.
– Chaeli Kurch was seventh in the 100-yard freestyle in a time of 1:20.62; and she was sixth in the 100-yard backstroke in a time of 1:54.78.
– The 400-yard freestyle relay team of Abigail Cole, Josie Stogsdill, Aaliyah Ridener, and Chaeli Kurch finished third in a time of 6:38.05.
The Pacer boys swim team compiled 23 points – all by Switzerland County’s lone participant, Dalton Faddis.
Faddis was third in the 200-yard freestyle in a time of 2:46.46; and he was fourth in the 500-yard freestyle in a time of 7:41.34.