A look back: Ohio County and Rising Sun

Historical Society to purchase Whitlock Building. Seventeen members and one guest of the Ohio County Historical Society were present at the meeting Sunday, January 12th at the city building when papers were signed to purchase the J. W. Whitlock property for a museum and community center.

57

Compiled by

Mavis Uhlmansiek

Celebrating the history of

Ohio County and Rising Sun

50 YEARS AGO

January 16th, 1969

  Historical Society to purchase Whitlock Building. Seventeen members and one guest of the Ohio County Historical Society were present at the meeting Sunday, January 12th at the city building when papers were signed to purchase the J. W. Whitlock property for a museum and community center. The executive committee of the Historical Society, founded only three years ago, met January 9th and unanimously agreed to pick up their option and purchase the Whitlock property. Included are over 20,000 square feet under roof in the complex of buildings that extends from Walnut Street west to the alley. Most of the buildings are brick and will offer an ideal setup for their long range projects. The building has its own history, built in the 1800s and operated by the Clore Plow Company, then purchased in 1914 by J. W. Whitlock to be used for the manufacture of small boats. The immortal “Hoosier Boy” was built there. The boat that won its name “the fastest boat on the river” when it was piloted, non-stop, from Cincinnati to Louisville and returned, a distance of 265 miles in 265 minutes and 49 seconds. The property will provide sufficient space for a growing museum and a large area for a much needed community center. The Historical Society will make the community center available to clubs and groups who wish to rent facilities for meetings and entertainment. There will be space for study groups and classes in hobbies, arts, and crafts for young and old. The Junior Historical Society will have its own headquarters from which to organize its own activities. Facilities will be available for catering and serving food.

  Mrs. Ernest (Margaret) Murray, Jr., is the new secretary for the Ohio County Cooperative Extension Office at 233 Main Street, Rising Sun.

  The first moon-lite bowling excursion was held at the Rising Sun Bowling Lanes on December 28th, January 4th and January 11th. The three-night affair was enjoyed by bowlers throughout this area. Many bowlers had to be turned away because of the lanes being full. Many prizes and trophies were awarded to the participants which helped to build the interest in the excursion. The merchants and individuals who donated the awards: 20 trophies-Rising Sun State Bank, Danbury’s-electric can opener, Lorey’s-electric knife, Copeland Hardware-electric coffeemaker, Knigga Feeds-50 lb. dog food, DEW Sorting-bowling bag, Husman’s Chips-1 large can of potato chips, Mug & Jug-2 free dinners, Green’s Dairy Maid-2 free dinners, Roy’s Phillips-grease job and oil change, Pavey’s Sinclair-10 gallons of gas, Rising Sun Lanes-free entry in Swiss Lanes, cash prizes-Kermit Gregory Insurance, Rising Sun Agency, Whitham Shell Service, Tracy’s Bargain Store, High Street Grocery, B&W Market, Roy Turner Builder, Rising Sun Silgas, L. Koons, Lucian Siekman.

  Aurora Ferry was taken out of service Tuesday because of ice in the Ohio River.

55 YEARS AGO

January 16th, 1964

  Mr. C. D. (Duck) Benham, veteran officer of the Rising Sun State Bank submitted his resignation as cashier to members of the Board of Directors at their annual meeting January 9th. New officers elected are: Oliver Fletcher, vice-president; Dale Siekman, cashier; Mrs. Eugene Knigga and Mrs. William Adams, assistant cashiers.

  Vandals entered Rising Sun High School sometime after midnight January 15th and caused an estimated $500 loss in money and property damage.

60 YEARS AGO

January 15th, 1959 

  The Rising Sun Shiners lost to Milan Indians in a game at Versailles with a score of 66 to 63. John Adams led the Shiners scoring with 33 points.

  Mrs. Dean W. Whitlock was elected president of the Rising Sun-Ohio County Public Library Board, January 9th. Mrs. Charles Johnson was named vice-president and Mrs. Lowell Bliss, secretary.

70 YEARS AGO

January 13th, 1949

  Stewart B. Whitlock has applied for approval of plans to install small boat harbor facilities on the Indiana bank of the Ohio River.

80 YEARS AGO

January 12th, 1939

  Judge William D. Ricketts is general chairman of the committee, for the fifth consecutive year, which plans the annual Birthday Ball. Gordon Drake and his Aces will furnish the music for the event which will be held January 30 in the local high school gym.

  The room adjoining the Dibble Hardware Store, formerly occupied by the Kabakoff Dry Cleaning business is being utilized as added space for the store’s stock.

  The “Nickelo” a new restaurant opened this week by Joe Marsh in a room adjoining the Marsh Hotel is just what its name implies. A number of popular food items may be purchased for a nickel.

90 YEARS AGO

January 11th, 1929

  J. N. Perkins has resigned as president of the National Bank of Rising Sun. He was elected president of the bank, December 29th, 1919. Prior to that he had served as cashier since February 1872 making a total of 57 years service. Ben H. Scranton has been elected to succeed Mr. Perkins.

  Earl Danbury, local radio dealer attended the first convention and banquet of Majestic radio dealers which was held at the Hotel Alms, Cincinnati.