The 2017 Swiss Wine Festival gets underway this Sunday night, August 7th, with the crowning of this year’s Edelweiss Princess.
This year’s Princess and her court will preside over the upcoming festival, which will be held Thursday, August 25th through Sunday, August 28th, in the Paul Ogle Riverfront Park.
The pageant will be held this Sunday night beginning at 7 p.m. in the cafeteria of Switzerland County High School.
This year there are six candidates vying for the title, with the winner earning a $1,000 scholarship. The first runner up will receive a $500 scholarship; the second runner up a $250 scholarship; the third runner up a $100 scholarship; and the fourth runner up will receive a $50 scholarship.
Here’s a look at this year’s contestants:
– MACY EVELYN BARWICK will be a sophomore at Hanover College this fall. She is the daughter of Bryan and Carrie Barwick, and is being sponsored in the pageant by the Golden Shear Barber Shop in Vevay.
At Hanover, she is a Crowe Scholar; is a member of the Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society; the Upsilon Lambda chapter of the Chi Omega Fraternity; and she is a part of the Hanover College Theater Department, including being a part of the ‘Evil Petting Zoo’ Improv Troupe Circle K International. She earned inclusion on the dean’s list for the fall 2015 semester and the spring 2016 semester. Here at Switzerland County, she was the co-valedictorian of the Class of 2015.
Her career plan is to continue her education at Hanover College with a double major in English and Spanish with a concentration in business. She plans to pursue a career in International Business.
– ARIANA DAVAE BRIGHT is the daughter of David Bright and Georganna Ray; and is being sponsored in this year’s pageant by Heritage Hills Farms. She will be a senior this fall at Switzerland County High School.
At Switzerland County, she is a four-year member of the varsity cheerleading squad, and will serve as a co-captain this year; and she is also a four-year member of the volleyball team. She is a member of the Pep Club, and was selected by the American Legion Auxiliary to serve as a delegate to Hoosier Girls State this past summer. She is employed at Shell’s Ice Cream and Grill, and enjoys tumbling, swimming, and binge watching Criminal Minds on Netflix.
After graduation, her career ambition is to attend Northern Kentucky University, where she hopes to continue cheerleading while she pursues a career in forensic psychology and behavioral analysis.
– ERIKA DANIELLE COY is being sponsored in this year’s pageant by The Lantern Coffeehouse, and is the daughter of Greg and Barb Coy. She will be a junior this fall at Indiana University in Bloomington.
At Indiana University she is a Timmy Global Health member; a member of the Sigma Alpha Lambda Honors organization; participated in the IU Dance Marathon; and is a member of the Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship on campus. She is also a resident and an employee of the Collins Living-Learning Center at IU. She is a member of the American Legion Auxiliary here; and is a member of Olive Branch Baptist Church. She volunteers with Riley Hospital and Special Olympics.
Her career ambition is to obtain a degree in psychology; and then attend graduate school and work towards a Ph.D. in clinical psychology with a concentration in Rehabilitational Psychology.
– SUMMER JEWELL DICKERSON will be a senior this fall at Switzerland County High School, and she is the daughter of Bridgette Miller and Mark Dickerson. She is being sponsored in this year’s pageant by Cocoa Tan.
At Switzerland County she is a four year member of the Business Professionals of America, serving as Secretary in 2014 and Historian in 2015, and she will serve as the organization’s President this year. She is also a four year member of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes; is a four year member of the student council; and is also active in Students Against Destructive Decisions and the Spanish Club. She was the second runner up in the 2016 Queen of Hearts pageant. She is also a member of the varsity softball team.
Following graduation from high school, she plans to attend college and become a pediatric nurse, and then enlist in the United States Air Force.
– JACQUELINE DETRAZ HENSLEY is the daughter of Bobby and Monica Hensley, and she will be a sophomore this fall at Hanover College. She is being sponsored in this year’s pageant by Detraz Services.
At Hanover, she is a member of the Upsilon Lambda chapter of the Chi Omega Fraternity; a member of the Pre-Law Club; and the Young Democrats Club. She participated in campus clean up with the Panther Pick Up Crew; and is the recipient of both the Wahl and Bosaw Academic Scholarships. She has also earned runner up status in various pageants in the community. She enjoys swimming, bike riding, politics, dogs; and learning about other cultures. She also enjoys going to the beach.
She is currently working on earning her political science degree at Hanover, and then plans on attending law school to focus on environmental law, with a goal of working for the Environmental Protection Agency.
– SARAH MACKENZIE OSOWSKI is being sponsored in this year’s pageant by State Farm Insurance, Jeni Scudder, agent; and she is the daughter of Dan and Mary Beth Osowski. She will be a freshman this fall at Ball State University.
She is a member of the four time National Home School soccer championship team, from 2012-2015; and she was also honored as the Defensive Player of the Year in 2014. In 2013 she earned Grand Champion honors for her 4-H horse and dog projects; and she currently models for John Casablanca, MTM Talent. She is employed at Long John Silver’s in Aurora.
Her career plans are to obtain her bachelor’s degree in zoology from Ball State University; and then plans on a career working with and training animals at a zoo or aquarium.
There is a $5 admission fee for the pageant, with one parent being admitted free for each contestant.