The 2015 Switzerland County 4-H Fair begins on July 11th, but official festivities get underway tomorrow (Friday) night, as Miss Switzerland County is chosen.
This year’s Fair Queen and her court will reign over this year’s fair, and she will also then go on in August to compete against other County Fair Queens for the chance to be the Indiana State Fair Queen.
The contest will be held in the cafeteria of Switzerland County High School, and will begin at 7 p.m.
Here’s a look at this year’s candidates:
– EMILY NICOLE CATHLEAN EVANS is being sponsored in the Queen Pageant by State Farm Insurance, Jeni Scudder, agent. She will be a sophomore this fall at Indiana State University; and she is the daughter of Cristina and Michael Evans of Vevay.
She was the first runner up in the 2013 Miss Switzerland County pageant; the second runner up in the 2010 Edelweiss Teen Princess pageant; and the fourth runner up in the 2012 Edelweiss Teen Princess pageant. At ISU she is a member of the Alpha Chi Omega sorority; where she serves as the Recruitment Chairperson. She is also active in volunteer work; and enjoys crafting and taking care of children.
At Indiana State she is majoring in exercise science with a minor in psychology.
– ROBIN E. FURNISH will be a sophomore this fall at Trine University; and she is the daughter of Rob and Cheryl Furnish of near Bennington. She is being sponsored in this year’s pageant by Bowling Farm Equipment.
The Switzerland County High School graduate earned the Lilly Endowment Scholarship; was a 10-year 4-H member; and earned the 2014 Round Robin Showmanship award. She was co-President of her 4-H club; was co-Vice President of the Switzerland County FFA chapter; was District 12 FFA Treasurer; and she also earned the ORVC Mental Attitude award while in high school for cross country. At Trine, she serves as a Student Government representative; is a member of the Society of Women Engineers; and the American Chemical Society.
She will pursue a masters and doctorate in Tissue Engineering and plans on working in research.
– JACLYN VIRGINIA HART is the daughter of Dan and Trina Hart of near Pleasant; and she is being sponsored in the pageant by Edelweiss Floral. She is a 2015 graduate of Switzerland County High School.
She was President of her Senior Class; and also served as co-President of the student council. She was captain of the SCHS bowling team; was a member of the Business Professionals of America; Key Club; and the English Academic team. She serves as President of the Switzerland Sidewinders 4-H club. She is a member of Farm Bureau; was honored as the Outstanding 4-H member of 2010, 2011, and 2014; and enjoys volunteer work, baking, and sewing.
In the fall she will attend college and will pursue a master’s degree in business administration.
- AMANDA RACHELLE NORFLEET is being sponsored in the pageant by Uptown Pizza, and she is the daughter of Rhonda Covington of near East Enterprise. She is a 2015 graduate of Switzerland County High School.
She earned the 4-H Sportsmanship Award; has participated in the Indiana State School Music Association’s Solo and Ensemble contest, earning a bronze medal for her solo and a gold medal for her ensemble; and she also earned the Indiana All Star Marching Band award. She is a member of the Kountry Kids 4-H club; and enjoys horses; firefighting; photography; playing the trumpet; reading; and spending time with her family.
Her career goal is to pursue a degree in cardio surgery.
– KORAH TAYLOR will be a junior this fall at Indiana State University; and she is being sponsored in the pageant by Wai Back Forty Farms. She is the daughter of Andi Wainscott of near Fairview.
She was a contestant in the 2014 Kentucky Festivals Pageant; was voted Miss Congeniality and was the third runner up in the 2014 Relay for Life pageant; and was third runner up in the Miss Switzerland County pageant. She earned the People’s Choice award in 2014; and was the recipient of the Linda Bennitt Scholarship and the Mike McClure Scholarship. An honors student in high school, she enjoys reading, spending time with her family; and volunteering with 4-H and the community.
Her career plan is to be a criminal psychologist for the FBI.