The 2014 edition of the Switzerland County 4-H Fair is now hours away, beginning this Saturday, July 12th and running through the livestock auction on Saturday evening, July 19th.
Here’s a rundown of 2014 Fair Week:
- This Saturday, July 12th, Exhibit Hall projects will be checked in between 8 a.m. and noon. There will be no late entries allowed. The tractor contest written exam will also be given from 8 a.m. until noon; and the Fashion Revue will be held at 7:30 p.m.
At the grandstands, the first day of the fair will conclude with a Demolition Derby beginning at 7 p.m.
- The horse and pony show will be held beginning at 10 a.m. this Sunday, July 13th, and everyone is invited to come and see the events at the arena that was built last year.
- On Monday, July 14th, when the rabbit check in happens from 8-11 a.m. The tractor driving contest will be held at 9 a.m.; and the rabbit show begins at 5:30 p.m.
At the Community Building, the Little Miss and Little Mister Contest will be held at 6 p.m.; and there will be a greased pig contest beginning at 7:30 p.m.
- On Tuesday, July 15th, livestock check in will be held from 6 a.m. until noon; and at noon the Mini 4-H Fun Day will be held. The Center Square Baptist Church will again hold its lasagna dinner beginning at 5:30 p.m.; and the swine show will be held at the show arena beginning at 6:30 p.m.
There will also be a cornhole tournament on Tuesday night beginning at 7 p.m.
- On Wednesday, July 16th, check in for pigeon, poultry, and other fowl will be held from 6-8 a.m.; and livestock record sheets are due from 8 a.m. until noon; with livestock pictures also being taken during that time.
The dog show will be held at 9 a.m.; while 4-H Fun Day for traditional 4-H members will be held at 1 p.m. The poultry show takes over the show arena beginning at 4 p.m.
The Johnny Andrew Memorial pedal tractor pull begins at 6:30 p.m.; and at the grandstands there will be truck and ATV drags beginning at 7 p.m.
There will not be a baby contest this year.
- The cat show kicks off events on Thursday, July 17th, beginning at 10 a.m.; followed by the Pocket Pet Show at noon.
The beef show will be held beginning at 4 p.m. on Thursday, with a volleyball tournament beginning at 7 p.m. The meat goat show and dairy goat show will be held at the show arena at 7 p.m. that evening; and the truck drags will be held at the Grandstand at 7 p.m.
- Friday, July 18th, begins with one of the most popular projects, as the Shooting Sports demonstration takes place at the grandstand area beginning at 9 a.m. Over at the show arena, the dairy show begins at 1 p.m.; and the sheep show will be held at 2:30 p.m. A Fun Horse Show, which is for 4-H members only, will be held at 5:30 p.m.; and “Silly Safari” will present a show at 7 p.m.
At 7 p.m. that evening, there will be a sanctioned truck and tractor pull will be held at the grandstand area, sponsored by Switzerland County Tourism.
- The final day of the 2014 Fair kicks off on Saturday, July 19th, when the Round Robin Showmanship competition is held at and around the show arena beginning at 10 a.m. At 3 p.m. the annual auction barbecue is held at the shelter house near the show arena; and the 4-H Livestock auction will be held beginning at 4 p.m.
Over at the grandstands, the mud run will begin at 7 p.m.; and 4-H projects will be released from 6:30-9:30 p.m.
The 4-H Exhibit Hall will be open on Monday through Friday from 4-9 p.m.; and on Saturday, July 19th from 2-6:30 p.m.
The Commercial Building will be open from Monday through Friday from 5-9 p.m.; and on Saturday, July 19th from noon until 9 p.m.
There is no Main Gate entry fee this year, so everyone can come and enjoy the fair every night.
For the grandstand: the Demolition Derby on Saturday, July 12th is $10; the Greased Pig Contest on Monday, July 14th is $1 admission with a $5 entry fee; the truck and ATV drags on Wednesday, July 16th is $10; the mud run on Saturday, July 19th is $10 with a $15 pit pass available.
Children ages five and under are free, with the exception of the pit passes for the mud run; and registration begins at 5 p.m. for all events.
This year’s 4-H Banquet will be held on Friday, August 15th, beginning at 6:30 p.m.
For more information on this year’s Switzerland County 4-H Fair, call the Purdue Extension office at 427-3152.